Penn State, 14 turnovers drop Loyola to 0-3 mark Greyhounds fall, 90-82, despite 35 from Powell

State men

November 25, 1997|By Brant James | Brant James,CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Turnovers in bundles started Loyola's men's basketball team to an 0-2 start this season. Turnovers in a smaller bundle, but in ill- timed situations, dropped the Greyhounds to 0-3 last night, forcing new coach Dino Gaudio to wait for his first win at the school, after a 90-82 loss to Penn State at Reitz Arena.

Loyola senior guard Mike Powell, who led all scorers with 35 points, nearly willed his team past the mistakes and the Big Ten visitors, time and again hitting deep three-pointers that appeared to put the Greyhounds in control.

Powell popped open off a screen with 4: 05 left to tie the game, 74-74, with a three-pointer, but the Nittany Lions used two key turnovers to retake the lead, milked the clock, and hit five of seven fouls shots in the waning minutes to improve to 2-0.

"We're playing hard and we're getting better," Gaudio said. "This won't happen overnight."

Loyola, which committed 21 turnovers in each of its first two games and 14 last night, got a miscue by point guard Jason Rowe and a bad pass from Greg Schaefer on its next two possession after Powell's three-pointers. Penn State converted those extra possessions into six points, and put the game away on Jarrett Stephens' three-point play for an 82-74 lead with 2: 52 left.

Pete Lisicky led four Nittany Lions in double-figure scoring with 25, and Stephens added 22.

Rowe, who finished with eight assists, took responsibility for the late-game mistakes.

"I put this all on myself," the sophomore said. "I think we got too excited, and it's my job to settle us down. I got going too fast and they took advantage."

Loyola and the Nittany Lions battled back and forth throughout the first 36 minutes, with neither team assuming more than the 10-point lead the Greyhounds held at halftime and the eight-point edge with which the Lions finished.

"We played hard and had our chances," Powell said. "They just capitalized on our mental mistakes. I know this will help us get better down the road, though."

The Greyhounds used a 9-2 run over the last 2: 17 to lead 45-39 at the break. Rowe scored six of his 12 points during the run, including a layup after a Ryan Blosser steal that gave the Greyhounds a 39-37 lead with 1: 40 left until halftime.

Loyola picked up in the early moments of the second half, and took a 51-41 lead with 18: 09 left on a Powell fadeaway three-pointer from the top of the key.

"We wanted to deny him his touches, keep him from squaring his shoulders," said Penn State coach Jerry Dunn of the player he recruited vigorously. "We did that and he still got his shots. No doubt, he's an All-Big Ten guard in our league. We won't face better."

Penn State slowly cut down the deficit using its biggest asset -- size in the post -- to its advantage. Stephens, a 6-foot-7 forward, scored 12 of his 22 points in the second half, and 6 foot 11 center Calvin Booth contributed seven of his 11 in the last 17 minutes. Loyola had no answer for the tandem, as Platt was unable to defend both with Powell and Apostolis Nasiou battling foul trouble, and forward Brian Carroll out for three weeks with a stress fracture in his foot.

PENN STATE -- Earl 5-7 1-2 12, Stephens 8-11 6-6 22, Lisicky 5-11 13-15 25, Ivory 0-3 0-1 0, Booth 4-6 3-4 11, Heard 1-1 0-0 2, Grays 1-3 0-0 2, Crispin 2-4 0-1 5, Stevenson 4-6 0-1 9, Witkowsky 1-2 0-0 2. Totals 31-54 23-30 90.

LOYOLA -- Powell 9-17 10-12 35, Rowe 5-14 2-2 12, Nasiou 0-3 0-0 0, Schaefer 2-4 0-0 4, Platt 5-14 6-9 16, Davis 1-2 0-0 2, Blosser 1-4 2-3 4, Hunter 4-12 1-2 9. Totals 27-70 21-28 82.

Halftime--Loyola 45-39. 3-point goals--PSU 5-20 (Earl 13, Lisicky 2-7, Ivory 0-03, Grays 0-2, Crispin 1-2, Stevenson 1-3). LC 7-18 (Powell 7-10, Rowe 0-5, Nasiou 0-1, Schaefer 0-1, Blosser 0-1). Fouled out--Nasiou. Rebounds--PSU 38 (Booth 8), LC 37 (Platt 15). Assists--PSU 15 (Earl 5), LC 13 (Rowe 8). Total fouls--PSU 27, LC 26. A--1,729.

North Carolina-Wilmington 60, Mount St. Mary's 57: Tadearl Pratt's tip-in with under 10 seconds left lifted host North Carolina-Wilmington (1-2) over Mount St. Mary's (0-2).

The Seahawks trailed 57-56 after two free throws by Pratt with 37.2 seconds left, but the Mountaineers missed a three-point attempt, setting up Pratt's basket.

The Mountaineers rallied from a 17-point deficit to take a 55-52 lead with 2: 46 left on baskets by Tony Hayden and Eric Bethel.

Pub Date: 11/25/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.