25 years agoDogs running loose in the Alesia Falls Road...


November 23, 1997|By Compiled from the archives of the Historical Society of Carroll County.

25 years ago

Dogs running loose in the Alesia Falls Road area are causing much damage, especially to poultry and young animals.

On Thursday, a small flock of chickens were killed by dogs on the farm of Aigrude Schaeffer. This was the fifth time they had destroyed chickens on this farm. A neighbor had a calf so badly mutilated that it had to be disposed of. Another neighbor was attacked in his own yard. Only yesterday, children waiting for the school bus, were badly frightened by a pack of dogs. -- the Carroll Record, Nov. 23, 1972.

50 years ago

The two freshmen from Johns Hopkins University who were "abducted" Friday night in a reprisal raid by Western Maryland students were returned triumphantly at halftime during the football clash Saturday between the two schools at Homewood.

Each of the 18-year old, six-footers, Bernie Major of Washington, Pa., and Stanley Broder of West Orange, N.J., accepted their overnight ordeal gracefully and bared their heads as they were wheeled across the damp turf in a dolly and presented to the laughing audience that packed the stands on the Hopkins side of the field. Few words were exchanged, however, between the captives and the two pretty coeds from Western Maryland who lured them into a car Friday night with an invitation to attend a party at Goucher College where there were "beer and women."

The decoys, Patricia M. Outerbridge of Bermuda, and May Elizabeth Todd of Baltimore County, said that they were "so nervous" about the mission in which they turned their prisoners over to a waiting party of 11 students at Wyman Park Drive. -- Democratic Advocate, Nov. 28, 1947.

75 years ago

On Friday evening, an alarm of fire was sent in for a leaf fire at Western Maryland College. On the arrival of the fire company, they were notified not to throw any water on the fire as students were initiating a student, it is said.

Chief Shaeffer ordered the firemen to put the fire out at once, as it was close to a building. As the nozzlemen were throwing water on the blaze, some students started throwing stones, one striking fireman Harry Cootes in the head, causing the blood to flow freely from his injury. This angered the members of the fire company and the students were chased with the stream of water. Two of the students were handled a little rough but no serious harm was done to either. -- Democratic Advocate, Nov. 24, 1922.

Pub Date: 11/23/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.