Hereford shuts out Cambridge-SD, 31-0, for title game berth Heroes abound as Bulls rip defending state kings

Class 1A semifinal

November 22, 1997|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF

One year after going a school-best 11-1 but losing its first-ever Class 1A state semifinal appearance, Hereford went a step farther last night. The Bulls earned the school's first championship game appearance by hammering two-time defending champion Cambridge-South Dorchester, 31-0.

Despite rain and bad traffic, a nearly three-hour bus-ride from Dorchester County to Hereford last night wasn't so bad, losing coach Doug Fleetwood said before the game. It was the ride home for the 9-3 Vikings that hurt.

The victory, Hereford's eighth shutout, was its 23rd win in its past 24 games. The Bulls now have outscored their opponents by 575-66.

The Bulls (12-0), who never had a winning season before last fall, next play the winner of today's other Class 1A semifinal between Beall (10-1) and No. 2 seed Allegany (10-1). The championship game will be next weekend at the University of Maryland.

In defeating Cambridge, the Bulls -- ranked No. 3 in the Baltimore area and 15th in the state -- shut down a Vikings team that was making a state-record 17th playoff appearance and had won three state titles in five tries.

"This was a big one after losing to Kent here almost a year ago to the day and watching the kids cry their eyes out on this field," said third-year coach Steve Turnbaugh, a 1978 Hereford graduate. "Tonight, they played extremely well. I'm proud of them."

There were many heroes.

Fullback Jason Murphy (5-foot-10, 235 pounds) ran 21 times for 126 yards and two touchdowns, giving him 27 rushing scores on the year. Jason Shupert (6-1, 245) got his 10th and 11th sacks of the year and had three other tackles for losses. All-Metro Jason Wingeart intercepted his 10th pass of the season in the end zone, killing Cambridge's best scoring chance late in the game.

Kicker-linebacker Roger Evans booted a 35-yard field goal for a 17-0 halftime lead and was four-for-four on extra points. He also recorded his third sack of the year and batted down a pass.

"I didn't even watch it go. I just put my head down and buried it," said Evans of his field goal at the end of the first half. "Going in with another couple of points, I think, really gave us momentum for the second half."

Linebacker Rob Collins (60 rushing yards), the team's top

tackler, recovered a fumble and later scored his 14th touchdown.

Quarterback Marc Troch hit Andy Warner for his 10th passing touchdown of the season. Reg Cavender's 68-yard kickoff return to the Vikings' 4-yard line to open the second half set up Murphy's second score, from 2 yards, two plays later.

Others came through defensively. Justin Phillips got his team-high 12th sack, and Travis Elwood, Roger Evans and Justin Coon also registered sacks. Cambridge running backs Kevin Parker (1,203 yards, 14 touchdowns this year) and Lavoya Neal (972, 11) were held to a combined 70 yards.

"We were able to penetrate basically all night long," said the highly recruited Shupert. "This was the last game at Hereford for a lot of us seniors, and we wanted to go out with a bang."

Wingeart provided the clincher, returning his interception 22 yards to ignite the Bulls' final scoring drive of 10 plays for 78 yards in the fourth period. It ended with Collins' 15-yard touchdown run.

"At that point in the game, anything can happen," said Wingeart, who has 25 career interceptions and has returned three of this year's for touchdowns. "That gave us a final oomph, and was just a great way to end the game."

Pub Date: 11/22/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.