William D. Carl Sr., 75, founded contracting firmWilliam...

November 19, 1997

William D. Carl Sr., 75, founded contracting firm

William D. Carl Sr., retired founder and president of a Baltimore general contracting firm who was active in Masonic affairs, died of complications from a fall Thursday at Gilchrist Center for Hospice Care in Towson. He was 75 and a Cockeysville resident.

He established William D. Carl & Son, contractors and builders, in 1950.

In addition to commercial and residential projects, the company helped restore such local historic sites as Fort McHenry, Hampton Mansion and the carriage house of the Evergreen House.

After he retired in 1984, Mr. Carl moved to Martinsburg, W.Va., and returned to Cockeysville in 1993.

The native of Shamokin, Pa., moved to Baltimore as a youth and attended City College and Polytechnic Institute. He later earned a high school equivalency certificate and attended West Virginia Wesleyan College.

A 32nd degree Mason, he was a 53-year member of Mount Moriah Masonic Lodge, Boumi Temple and the Scottish Rite. He was also a 50-year member of Tall Cedars of Lebanon, the Blue Lodge and the Towson Shrine Club.

For 48 years, he was a member of St. John Methodist Church in Lutherville, where services were held Monday.

He is survived by his wife of 54 years, the former Mary Harman; two sons, William D. Carl Jr. of Upperco and Robert H. Carl of Carney; a daughter, Ann M. Wehrle of Towson; two brothers, John B. Carl of Pylesville and Richard D. Carl of Towson; four grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Geraldine L. Daly, a homemaker and former pharmacist, died of lymphoma Sunday at Union Memorial Hospital. The Towson resident was 63.

Mrs. Daly graduated from the University of Maryland School of Pharmacy in 1957 and went to work at Johns Hopkins Hospital the next year.

In 1960, she left Hopkins to become a homemaker and, some years later, joined her husband, Dr. Francis T. Daly Sr., now a retired Baltimore internist, in his practice. She retired in 1991.

An avid tennis player, Mrs. Daly was a member of Eagle's Nest Golf and Country Club. She also enjoyed photography and gourmet cooking.

The former Geraldine L. Austraw was born in Baltimore, and her family moved to Houston when she was a child. She returned to the city after the death of her father and was a 1954 graduate of Forest Park High School.

She was a communicant of Immaculate Conception Roman hTC Catholic Church, Baltimore and Ware avenues in Towson, where a Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 10 a.m. today.

Survivors include her husband of 40 years; two sons, Dr. Francis T. Daly Jr. of Loch Haven, Pa., and Brian P. Daly of Laurel; a daughter, Dr. Linda Daly-O'Neill of Marshfield, Wis.; her mother, Minetta Simpson of Baltimore; and three grandchildren.

Helen Z. McCausland, 78, longtime preservationist

Helen Zimmerman McCausland, who had a longtime interest in historic preservation and opened her historic Glyndon home to the public, died Saturday of complications from heart disease. She was 78.

The former Helen Zimmerman was born in Hamilton in Northeast Baltimore and later moved to Glyndon in Baltimore County. She graduated from Friends School in 1937 and Goucher College in 1941.

In 1940, she married Dr. Charles Patterson McCausland Jr., with whom she shared an interest in historic preservation. For many years, the couple's 1740 home, Melinda, and its American antique collection was a stop on the annual Maryland House and Garden Pilgrimage, which organizes public tours of historic and architecturally unique homes.

For almost six decades, Mrs. McCausland and her late sister, Katharine Z. Sack of California, owned Massum Eyrie, a historic farm on the Chesapeake Bay in St. Mary's County. Though the farm was sold in 1990, Mrs. McCausland and her husband continued to be active members of the St. Mary's County Historic Preservation Society.

Mrs. McCausland was a member of the Baltimore County Historical Society, the LITTLE Garden Club of Baltimore and the McDonogh School Patrons Club.

She was a board member of the Women's Auxiliary of Greater Baltimore Medical Center, the Pickersgill retirement home and the Goucher College Health Center.

She was a volunteer for the Children's Aid Society and an active member of Towson Presbyterian Church, Chesapeake and Highland avenues, where services will be held at 11 a.m. today.

Survivors include her husband; two sons, Dr. Charles P. McCausland III and A. Ross Z. McCausland of Baltimore; two daughters, Helen M. Byrnes of Baltimore and Katharine M. Foster of Queenstown; nine grandchildren; and three nieces.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.