Princeton ousts Terps in NCAA field hockey Tigers rout Maryland, 4-0, avenge regular-season loss

November 17, 1997|By Edward Lee | Edward Lee,SUN STAFF

COLLEGE PARK -- The Maryland field hockey team had owned Princeton. The Terps hadn't lost to the Ivy League school in 15 years and routed the Tigers by five goals earlier this season.

The streak came to a surprising end yesterday, as Princeton upset the Terps, 4-0, in an NCAA quarterfinal game.

The Tigers (16-3) scored twice on seven penalty corners and stifled a Maryland attack that had averaged nearly five goals a game before whiffing on 13 corners of its own. It's the second straight year that the Terps (18-4) were eliminated in the quarterfinals.

"We didn't take advantage of the opportunities that we had in the early part of the game, and we didn't control the momentum," said Terps assistant Andrea Bradley, who filled in for coach Missy Meharg.

Meharg was serving an NCAA-imposed one-game suspension for criticizing officiating during Maryland's 3-2 loss against North Carolina in the Atlantic Coast Conference final a week ago.

"We didn't play our own game," said Terps senior forward Nadine Bennett, Maryland's leading scorer with 24 goals. "We were not relaxed or poised enough."

Princeton coach Beth Bozman said her squad was looking to avenge its regular-season loss to the Terps on Oct. 16.

"We wanted to show what we could do," said Bozman, whose team will face defending national champion North Carolina in the NCAA semifinals on Friday. "This win shows the desire and strengths of this team. It was great to watch."

Yesterday's loss was the first time the Terps had been shut out since North Carolina achieved the same feat in last year's ACC final.

The Tigers struck first off a penalty corner. Junior forward Kirsty Hale sent the ball to junior back Annmarie Reich, who passed the ball to a wide open senior midfielder Amy MacFarlane. She drove the ball into the right corner for a 1-0 lead with 12: 52 left in the first half.

Less than seven minutes later, Princeton freshman midfielder Hilary Matson intercepted the ball and collided with Terps senior goalie Alana Eliwatt. The ball squirted out of a pile in front of the net to Hale, who hit the ball into the open net for a 2-0 lead.

On Princeton's sixth penalty corner, Hale passed the ball to senior back Kathleen Kelly, who left the ball for MacFarlane. The two-time Ivy League Player of the Year scored her second goal of the game with 23: 28 left in the game.

Tigers junior back Christine Hunsicker capped the scoring with a penalty stroke with 9: 27 left.

Pub Date: 11/17/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.