Hereford dominates Snow Hill, 49-20 11-0 Bulls take control with 42 first-half points

Class 1A football

November 16, 1997|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF

There's something to be said about Hereford's 49-20, Class 1A semifinal rout of Snow Hill and visiting coach Dave Hall said it all.

"They dominated the line, their quarterback ran the offense well, and they ran the Wing-T to perfection," said Hall, whose Eagles (8-2) trailed 42-12 at halftime. "I'm proud of my players, but they played to their capabilities and we didn't."

Mark Troch (7-for-8 passing, 73 yards) led third-ranked Hereford, as the No. 1 seed earned its second straight 1A semifinal appearance with its 22nd win in its past 23 games. The Bulls (11-0) advance to play host to two-time defending state champ Cambridge-South Dorchester (9-2), a 24-12 winner at Forestville of Prince George's County, Friday night.

Hereford lost last year's semifinal, 28-14, to Kent, an eventual runner-up to Cambridge. Cambridge beat Snow Hill, 28-14, earlier this year.

All-Metro Jason Wingeart had 266 all-purpose yards on five carries for 96 yards and two touchdowns, six receptions for 66 and three punt returns for 104.

Wingeart's 49-yard return set up his 8-yard run for a 7-0 lead. His 60-yard scoring run, off a double-reverse with Rob Collins (10 carries, 66 yards, one touchdown), made it 35-12 with 1: 57 left in the half.

Fullback Jason Murphy (17 carries, 118 yards) scored three first-half touchdowns to raise his numbers to 1,528 yards and 25 touchdowns. His 2-yard score, set up by Roger Evans' fumble recovery, came 1: 21 before halftime. With 7: 50 left in the third period, Reg Cavender came off the bench for a 13-yard run and a 49-12 lead.

The rest of the game was about Hereford's defense, which got sacks from Justin Phillips (twice), Justin Coon, Ed Wright and Jason Armacost. Brandon Klekner had an interception, and Evans, Jason Shupert and Pat Curtis all knocked down passes -- the latter ending a goal-line stand.

"It's important to play the game all the way through, show that we can focus, defensively, for four quarters," said Curtis, a 5-foot-4, 143-pound cornerback who bench presses 300 pounds.

Maurice Aimes, John Figgs and Markeith Williams recovered fumbles for Snow Hill, which trailed 28-12, after Jason Ewell's second-quarter, 34-yard pass to Aimes, and, 49-20, on Tyrell Harrell's 60-yard run, followed by Kris Shockley's conversion run with 20 seconds to play.

Evans booted seven extra-point kicks, raising his state record to 68 of 76 (102-for-116 career). He entered the game having allowed returns on 26 of 77 kickoffs, but Shockley's 95-yard return, to make the score 7-6 with 4: 58 left in the first period, was the first touchdown Evans had allowed.

"I went to the wrong guy," Evans said. "After that, I mostly squibbed it on the ground."

Pub Date: 11/16/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.