Woodlawn takes ball straight at Aberdeen for 7th shutout, 25-0 Warriors rush 373 yards, face Th. Johnson next

Class 3A football

November 15, 1997|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF

With a muddy field taking away ninth-ranked Woodlawn's outside attack, the Warriors decided to go straight at No. 14 Aberdeen last night.

And the Harford County tri-champions couldn't handle the results.

Woodlawn (10-1), second-seeded in the Class 3A state playoffs, churned out 373 rushing yards and ripped the seventh-seeded Eagles, 25-0, in a quarterfinal at Catonsville Community College.

The bulk of the Warriors' yardage came from its backfield of 4.4-second speedsters Tavon Mason (19 carries, 177 yards) and Reggie Danage (20, 162). Mason scored once, raising his season totals to 1,492 yards and 24 touchdowns, and Danage had two touchdowns, making his totals 1,374 yards and 18 scores.

The Warriors, who posted their seventh shutout, move to the semifinals against No. 3 seed Thomas Johnson (9-1), of Frederick, a 48-18 winner last night over Eastern Tech.

This game was a battle of county tri-champions, as the Warriors tied Eastern and No. 8 Milford Mill for Baltimore County's title, and Aberdeen (9-2) tied C. Milton Wright and Bel Air for Harford County's.

"We knew we wouldn't be able to pass or go outside much, so we decided to play power football," said Mason, a 6-0, 175-pounder who also has passed for three touchdowns this season. "When you pound it under these conditions, the best team's going come out on top. Tonight, that was us."

The Warriors' defense, anchored by Marquis Edmonds (one sack, one fumble recovery), Andrew Anyan (blocked punt) and Sterling Brown (interception), limited Aberdeen's 6-foot-2, 215-pound second-team All-Metro back E.J. Henderson to 47 yards.

Aberdeen was held to 33 yards in the first half and 143 for the game.

Meanwhile, the Warriors drove the ball upfield behind linemen Anyan, James Martin, Sterling Jones, Levarr Fairfax, Roland Tucker, Terrence Bratchet and Dewarren Reaves.

Danage's 10-yard run, with 6: 09 left in the first period, capped the Warriors' game-opening, 10-play, 70-yard drive for a 6-0 lead. And it was 13-0 after Mason's 56-yard off-tackle sprint, and Cameron Ross' extra point, with 3: 31 left in the half.

Then, with fourth-year coach Brian Scrivens screaming "one more touchdown, this half," Anyan blocked a punt which Edmonds recovered at Aberdeen's 2-yard line. Sean Tilley scored on the next play for a 19-0 lead 1: 09 before halftime.

"They played tough, defensively with E.J. in the middle [as linebacker], but we wanted it more," said Danage, whose second 10-yard score, with 7: 58 left in the game, finished off an 11-play, 63-yard drive for the game's final points.

Aberdeen had 33 yards in the first half (143 overall) but blew three chances to score.

Cory Knight returned a kickoff 55 yards to Woodlawn's 15, but Jermaine's Skinner's pass, on fourth-and-goal at the 9, was incomplete. Later, Aberdeen's Connell Lee recovered a fumble, but the Eagles turned the ball over on downs at Woodlawn's 36.

Henderson recovered a third-quarter fumble and the Eagles drove to Woodlawn's 2 before Skinner, on fourth-and-goal, was dropped for a 2-yard loss.

"The weather wasn't an advantage either way," said Henderson, who entered with 1,127 yards and 15 touchdowns. "We had our chances. We just didn't put it in."

Pub Date: 11/15/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.