Commission meeting called off simulcasting dispute still on

November 13, 1997|By Kent Baker | Kent Baker,SUN STAFF

The regular monthly meeting of the Maryland Racing Commission was postponed yesterday because it lacked a quorum, and no progress was reported in the simulcasting feud between the states' thoroughbred and harness interests.

"I apologize," commission chairman E. William Furey said to the crowd assembled at Pimlico Race Course. "Due to illness and people being out of town, we cannot conduct this meeting. We couldn't conduct official business with only four [of nine] commissioners."

With Saturday's deadline quickly approaching, no progress was reported in the "facilities-use" dispute that threatens to end simulcasting of thoroughbred racing at Rosecroft Raceway and harness racing at the state's thoroughbred tracks.

"We didn't have any movement or a productive day," said Gerald Brittingham, president of Cloverleaf Enterprises Inc., which operates Rosecroft, after an afternoon meeting with Gene Conti, secretary of the state Department of Labor and Licensing.

"The only positive thing is that we're still talking. We have given them our best and final offer."

Rosecroft wants 70 percent of the take from thoroughbred simulcasting at night, with the other 30 percent going to the Maryland Jockey Club.

Laurel's week

L Post times: 12:35 p.m. today through Sunday; 12:35 Wednesday

Simulcast: Monday

Dark: Tuesday

Information: 410-792-7775

Out-of-town simulcasts: For results, scratches, call 410-792-7464

Pub Date: 11/13/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.