Electrical fire causes $115,000 damage to house

November 13, 1997|By TaNoah Morgan | TaNoah Morgan,SUN STAFF

A Marley couple awakened by the smell of smoke yesterday escaped a fire that ripped through their home on Northdale Drive.

The fire, which started about 9: 30 a.m. on an enclosed porch that had been converted to a spare room, caused an estimated $115,000 damage to the house, according to EMS/Fire/Rescue spokesman John Scholz.

He said the cause was electrical, but did not elaborate.

Rose and Harry Simmont Jr. said they had been asleep in an adjoining room when they smelled the smoke.

"I opened the shade, and it looked like flames and thick smoke so we got out," Harry Simmont, a retired Baltimore police lieutenant said. Rose Simmont called firefighters.

The couple stood outside in pajamas and coats awaiting firefighters.

Firefighters saw thick smoke coming from the rear of the two-story house when they arrived, Scholz said. They had the blaze under control in about a half-hour.

Later in the day, Harry Simmont was philosophical about his losses as he sifted through the ashes.

"As far as I can tell, everything's gone," Mr. Simmont said. "But what can you ask for as long as long as nobody's hurt?"

Pub Date: 11/13/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.