Mount Hebron falls in final, 3-1 Bethesda-Chevy Chase puts unhappy ending on dream year for Vikings

Class 2A field hockey

November 12, 1997|By Stan Rappaport | Stan Rappaport,SUN STAFF

Mount Hebron ended the season yesterday the same way it began two months ago -- with a loss. But in between the Vikings created a magical memory that won't soon be forgotten.

"Even though we lost, we won inside," said Mount Hebron's Trish Derwart after yesterday's 3-1 loss to Bethesda-Chevy Chase in the Class 2A state championship at Goucher College. "We changed field hockey at Mount Hebron.

"When you've come this far, and you've brought a program this far with you, there is so much to be proud of," added Derwart, one of five seniors on the team. "This was a year to remember."

The Vikings 14-2-1 successfully defended their Howard County championship, winning six one-goal games in the process and then won their first playoff game since Jeannette Ireland took over as coach eight seasons ago.

Mount Hebron earned its first regional title since 1982, then beat Towson in the state semifinals to become the fifth finalist from Howard County.

Two years ago, Centennial won the county's only state title, upsetting Fallston. The Vikings played hard yesterday, but the Barons, making their 11th straight tournament appearance, were simply too good.

"That's the best team we've played all year," said Mount Hebron senior Emily Payne. "I don't think it's anything we didn't do. They're just a better team. We gave it everything we had."

Bethesda-Chevy Chase showed why it has won four straight state titles and seven overall.

"Their passing was so frustrating," said Mount Hebron sophomore Katie Jeschke, who scored off Payne's assist to make it a 2-1 game midway through the second half.

"We knew what to expect, but not at that level. There was always someone around when they passed it. You never knew where the ball was going to."

Bethesda-Chevy Chase (15-2-1) stunned the Vikings when Mary Havell scored off a penalty corner 1: 48 into the game. The Vikings defense, led by sweeper Becky Phillips, shook it off and continued to play hard.

The Barons, who had 22 corners to only one for Mount Hebron, made it 2-0 on Mairin Brady's goal four minutes into the second half.

Mount Hebron's goal came off its only corner of the game. It was the only goal Bethesda-Chevy Chase allowed in six playoff games.

Kendell Smith finished the scoring for the Barons, who defeated River Hill (3-0) and Centennial (2-0) in region games, with 10: 16 left to play.

Ireland thought her squad "played well most of the time. I'm not disappointed, I'm thrilled. It just gives us something to aspire to. I'm really proud of the upperclassmen that brought us this far and the last two teams. Every year was so big in building to this."

Said Payne: "This is the best season I've had and the most fun I have had playing field hockey. It was kind of a miracle season."

Pub Date: 11/12/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.