Harris sends Glenelg to final Goal with under a minute beats Hereford in 1A, 2-1

November 11, 1997|By Steven Kivinski | Steven Kivinski,CONTRIBUTING WRITER

David Harris' goal with just under a minute left in the second overtime period broke a 1-1 tie with Hereford and put unheralded Glenelg in Saturday's Class 1A championship game.

With the clock running down and a shootout looming, Harris got the ball near the sideline, raced past a Hereford defender and blasted a shot into the right corner of the net to give the Bulls a 2-1 victory at Arundel High.

"I saw a gap about this small," said Harris, using his hands to measure off about six inches. "Coach said, 'David, if you have an opening, take it.' I figured, if I get tripped in the box, I get a penalty. I just shot it, it hit off the post and went in. It was the best feeling of my life."

The earned Glenelg (11-6) a meeting with St. Michael's, which advanced by defeating Flintstone, 2-0, in the earlier semifinal.

"That was a great team we just beat ," said senior midfielder Alex Blazek. "They made great touches and played well in the midfield. It was a great win."

The Gladiators , who advanced by upsetting then No. 9 Hammond, 2-1, for the South region title, got on the board first when Jeremy Shry found the net on a feed from Brian Musgrove in the 15th minute.

Hereford knotted the game six minutes laster when senior midfielder Austin Colledge dribbled through a pair of defender and booted a shot past Glenelg goalkeeper Just Benoliel.

Colledge, who netted the game-winner last week to put the Bulls into the semifinals, drew a yellow card in the second half and was abruptly ejected for unsportsmanlike after making a gesture to the crowd during his re-entry.

Benoliel and Hereford keeper Adam Bengston both played brilliantly in the second half. Benoliel finished with 13 saves and Benston recorded 12.

"Some people didn't give us any credit for being here but we worked hard to get here and we deserve to be here," said Glenelg coach Peter Klisas, who saw last season end in a 2-1 overtime loss to Wilde Lake in the 2A region finals. "All six of our loses this year were top 15 ranked schools so we've played a tough schedule and it's helped us in the playoffs."

Hereford first-year coach Glenn Quinn said: "That [game-winner] was a nice goal, but what did it come with, 30 seconds left? That's unlucky.

Pub Date: 11/11/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.