Bowie sends Patterson home, 4-1 Missed opportunities end Clippers' season at 15-2

Maki proud despite loss

November 11, 1997|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF

Patterson (15-2) made its first-ever appearance in the Class 4A state semifinals last night at North County, but won't be playing in the title game after being turned away, 4-1, by Bowie of Prince George's County.

Scott Buete assisted Dave Groff for a 1-0 halftime lead, and scored twice himself in a three-goal second half.

Pat Magruder, assisted by Eric Anewalt, scored the Bulldogs' third goal as Bowie (15-2-1) earned a shot at defending state champion Whitman (12-5-1), a 7-1 winner over North County, in Saturday's championship game at Old Mill.

Guillermo Pineda prevented the shutout with his 40th goal of the year (the 105th of his career) with 12 minutes left. Pineda also has 12 assists. Pat Krivosh, who entered with 11 shutouts, had 17 saves for Patterson.

"I wasn't my sharpest tonight, but they scored some good goals. Nothing much I could do about them," said Krivosh, who hadn't played goalie before this season since he was 12 years old. "We're proud of ourselves. We've had a great season."

Said defender Devin Shane: "We broke down in the back there and lost a little faith and it was hard to come back."

The teams had seven shots each in the first half, but Bowie went up, 1-0, in the 13th minute. Both Pineda and Shane Howard missed opportunities to tie the game at 1-1 after their respective direct kicks sailed inches high of the crossbar.

"First time being here, I don't think we played that badly," said coach Derek Maki, whose 100th career win came by 1-0 over Perry Hall for the Clippers' first-ever North Region crown.

"We didn't have much chance to scout them, but I'm proud of their performance."

Whitman 7, North County 1: North County led, 1-0, four minutes into the game, but allowed seven unanswered goals, including five in the second half as Whitman won its sixth straight game and a chance to go for its second straight title. North County keeper Shawn Jones had 21 saves.

The Knights (8-7-1) reached the semifinals after upsetting both Arundel and Severna Park -- teams they had lost to earlier by a combined 9-1 in the regular season.

And after Justin Toth's goal, off an assist from Justin Bates 4: 26 into the game, the it seemed their cinderella season might continue.

But the Vikings tied the game at 13: 18 off a bicycle kick by Aaron Bernstein, and took a permanent lead, 2-1, when Jose Grandiller assisted Eric Bushee in the 17th minute.

Pub Date: 11/11/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.