Man charged in shooting of woman who was abducted Suspect also charged in Baltimore attack

November 10, 1997|By Richard Irwin | Richard Irwin,SUN STAFF

A Baltimore County man who allegedly shot at a police officer was charged yesterday with abducting and shooting a Pasadena woman during an attempted robbery Thursday, Anne Arundel County police said.

Baltimore City police also charged the man yesterday with attempting to kill a woman he picked up in South Baltimore Wednesday.

Norman Lindsey Mayes, 20, of the 2700 block of Yarnall Road in Baltimore Highlands was being held without bail at the county Detention Center, Anne Arundel police said.

Mayes was released yesterdayfrom Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore, where he was treated for a bullet wound to the left shoulder.

Mayes was shot during an exchange of gunfire with Officer Jeffrey Morgan following a traffic stop Friday night in the 900 block of Elkridge Landing Road in a business park near Baltimore-Washington International Airport.

According to police, Morgan stopped a van after observing it fishtailing. Morgan was walking toward the vehicle when the male driver got out and fired several shots at him. Morgan, who was not hit, returned fire, wounding the man in the left shoulder, police said. The man got back in the van and sped off, but crashed into a utility pole a block away and fled into a wooded area, police said. A search of the woods was unsuccessful.

Fingerprints taken from the van led Anne Arundel and Baltimore County police to Mayes' home about 4: 30 p.m. Saturday, where he was arrested following a brief standoff.

Police said a .38-caliber handgun found in Mayes' home following his arrest led Anne Arundel police to charge him with attempted murder in the shooting involving Morgan.

Anne Arundel police said Mayes was charged yesterday with kidnapping and attempted murder in the abduction and shooting of a 37-year-old female employee of Northrop Grumman Corp., near BWI, during an apparent robbery attempt Thursday evening.

The abducted woman, whose identify has not been disclosed, was leaving Northrop Grumman when a man pulled her into his van, bound her with duct tape and drove off. About two miles away, the woman jumped out of the van and was shot several times by the driver, who sped away.

The woman remains in critical condition at Shock Trauma.

Robert W. Weinhold Jr., a spokesman for Baltimore City police, said a woman called Baltimore City police after hearing about the Anne Arundel incidents. She told police she was shot in the back Wednesdayin the 3200 block of Sun St. in Fairfield as she fled the car of a man who had picked her up in South Baltimore.

Pub Date: 11/10/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.