St. Paul's takes title on Marimow's goal Crusaders beat Severn, 1-0, on improbable score in MIAA B championship


The shot was awkward, the angle impossible. The result for Scott Marimow of St. Paul's was a once-in-a-lifetime memory.

Standing 20 yards out with his back to the goal and blanketed by a defender, the senior used his shin to pop the ball high into the air.

When it landed, after glancing off the keeper's fingertips and bounding off the far post, Marimow had scored the decisive goal in the Crusaders' 1-0 victory over Severn in the Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association B Conference championship game at UMBC.

Among the many stunned spectators was Admirals coach Marc Osterberger.

" When your hips are facing the concession stand, and it hits you in the shin and goes straight up in the air, and the entire stadium thinks it went over the crossbar, then it hits the post and goes in ...," Osterberger said, shaking his head. "I mean, our goalie thought it was over, the sweeper thought it was over, the kid thought it was over."

The win gave St. Paul's its third conference championship, after winning the MSA in 1983 and sharing the MIAA crown with St. Mary's two years ago.

Despite the improbable goal, this one was no nuke.

St. Paul's (17-8) kept possession of the ball most of the way, outshooting the Admirals, 16-6, in avenging two regular-season losses to the Anne Arundel team.

Led by Greg Shaver, Tommy Trela and Reed Bouchelle, the Crusaders' defense kept Severn without a shot for the first 31:04 beating the Admirals (14-1-1) to loose balls and shutting down leading scorer Jeff Haskins.

After misfiring on a handful of better scoring opportunities, including Conor Ford's direct kick that sailed inches high, the Crusaders took the lead on Marimow's effort.

"The ball came through the middle," said Marimow, a halfback who hadn't scored a goal all season. "I took it and just let it go. Everything was going in slow motion,, and it just went in."

Severn's best chance to tie' came midway through the half when Kyle Hyland's header off Matt McFarland's corner hit the artificial turf and bounced oven the net.

To St. Paul's coach Howard Schindler, the victory reinforced a valuable soccer lesson.

Said Schindler: "When you put the ball in the goal mouth, you never know what can happen. You just never know."

MIAA C Conference final

Chapelgate 2, Glenelg Country 0: Juniors Mike Kennedy and Ben Byrd scored goals to lead the Flames to the championship in their first year in the league.

After getting outshot, 11-6, in the first half, Chapelgate (12-6-2) took control of the game down the stretch, winning loose balls and playing tight defenses

Pub Date: 11/09/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.