City spoils day for Waibel, Poly Coach's last game vs. rival is letdown in 7-0 defeat


Augie Waibel brought an impressive 279-73 career record into yesterday's lO9th annual Poly-City game. His 21-9 record in THE GAME includes a 16-game winning streak from 1970 to 1986.

But City's Knights (7-3, 6-1) chose to honor the legendary coach by playing their best defense of the year, handing Waibel and Poly a 7-0 loss in the last high school game he'll ever coach at Memorial Stadium. Waibel will retire after Poly's season ends in the state playoffs.

'It was a typical Poly-City game, except I can't say I'll get 'em next year,' said Waibel, 64, whose Engineers lead the series, 53-50-6. 'We just didn't have a good day, execution-wise.'

Charles Haywood (18 carries, 77 yards) played well on Poly's offense. Defensively, there were George Hopkins (one sack, one fumble recovery) and Mike Dorsey, who batted down a pass in the end zone. But the Knights' defense was the difference, forcing Poly (7-3, 6-1) to share the city's East Division title.

James Gee's first of two interceptions, at his own 34, began what turned out to be the Knights' game-winning drive on their first possession.

From there, the Knights went 14 plays, the 13th being Vincent Deloatch's 23-yard pass to Warren Smith at Poly's 9. City led, 7-0, after Jeff Brown's 8-yard run and Bryant Johnson's extra point kick 26 seconds before the second period.

In City's come-from-behind 26-20 victory last year, Gee's ninth interception of the season set up the game-winning drive, capped by Smith's 28-yard touchdown catch with three seconds left.

'This is the game we have to win every year, whether we've gone 0-9 or 9-0,' Gee said. 'If we don't win, our season's nothing.' The Knights played that way.

City's Lamar Jones had a game high 96 yards on 24 carries. Johnson and Ali Harding-Bey had two sacks each, Anthony Salley had one sack and Derek Brown an interception. Rickey Holloway keyed a pass rush that hurried Timmy Frazier (4-for-9, 21 yards) all day.

'I wanted this for my birthday, which is tomorrow [today],' said the 6-foot, 210-pound Harding-Bey, 18, sporting welts under each of his eyes and a blood-stained lower lip. 'It was war in there and we won.'

Poly still had two good scoring chances in the second half after fumble recoveries by Dale Martin and Tony Clark, respectively. But one drive ended after Frazier's 10 yard pass to Jason Simms was short of a first down at City's 8, and another was thwarted as Derek Brown intercepted Frazier.

In the game's closing seconds, Frazier also had one pass broken up by Frederick Jones, and another dropped by Don Arnold at City's 11.

'Coach [George Petrides] told us to play four quarters of defense, and we did that,' Johnson said. 'He [Waibel] coached a great game. I wish him luck.' Pub Date: 11/09/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.