Suspect in police shooting arrested Anne Arundel officer wasn't injured

connection to abduction investigated

November 09, 1997|By TaNoah Morgan | TaNoah Morgan,SUN STAFF Sun staff writer Del Quentin Wilber contributed to this article.

A wounded man suspected of firing shots at an Anne Arundel County police officer, then abandoning a van after it hit a utility pole as he fled, was arrested last night at his Baltimore County home.

Police said they were investigating whether there was a connection between the suspect in gunfire Friday night at a business park near Baltimore-Washington International Airport and the shooting of a woman abducted the previous night as she left work in the area.

Norman Lindsey Mayes, 20, of the 2700 block of Yarnall Road in Halethorpe was charged with assault with intent to murder in the shooting Friday night, said Sgt. William Krampf, a spokesman for Anne Arundel County police.

Police said there are similarities between Mayes and a description of the mustachioed man who abducted a Pasadena woman leaving work at a nearby Northrop Grumman Corp. facility, bound her with duct tape and shot her at least six times when she escaped from his car about two miles away.

According to Krampf, Arundel Officer Jeffrey Morgan noticed the brown Chevrolet conversion van fishtailing about 10 p.m. Friday in the Airport Square business park in the 900 block of Elkridge Landing Road and stopped it to question the driver.

When Morgan approached the van, the driver got out and fired at the officer, police said. Morgan, who was not injured, returned fire, and the gunman jumped back into the van. He sped off on Elkridge Landing Road, but rammed a utility pole less than a block away, police said.

The gunman ran into nearby woods, which police surrounded and used a helicopter to search but did not enter until daybreak because the suspect had a gun. The gunman was not found, Krampf said, adding that the van had been reported stolen in Annapolis.

Police said Mayes was arrested without incident when officers from both counties arrived at his home about 4: 30 p.m.

Mayes had a gunshot wound in his left shoulder and was admitted to Maryland Shock Trauma Center.

He was listed in critical but stable condition, Krampf said.

The victim of the abduction Thursday -- whose identity has not been divulged -- also was in critical condition at the trauma center.

Police said they were uncertain whether she had been sexually assaulted.

Pub Date: 11/09/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.