Woman shot escaping from her kidnapper Victim was abducted from office parking lot

November 08, 1997|By TaNoah Morgan | TaNoah Morgan,SUN STAFF

A Pasadena woman was kidnapped from the parking lot of her office near Baltimore-Washington International Airport on Thursday, bound with duct tape and shot at least six times after she escaped from her assailant's car.

The woman, whom police did not identify, remained in critical but stable condition yesterday at Maryland Shock Trauma Center.

The gunman was still at large.

The woman did not know the man, police said yesterday. Spokeswoman Carol Frye said police did not release her name because they're uncertain whether she was sexually assaulted during the attack. County officers and security guards at Northrup Grumman Corp., where the woman works, are increasing patrols at the company's sites throughout northwestern section of the county, officials said yesterday. Police said a man grabbed the woman, forced her to the ground, bound her hands behind her back with duct tape and forced her into a car. When he grabbed the woman, he told her, "I'm going to kill you," Frye said.

Officials were not sure what time the woman left the building or how long she was in the car, but police said she tried to escape several times.

She finally opened the car door shortly after 7 p.m. in the 1300 block of River Road, no more than two miles from where she was abducted, police said. The driver stopped, the woman got out, and the man also got out, walked around the car and shot her several times, police said.

nTC The woman fell, and the man drove about 50 feet to a stop sign, made a U-turn, stopped where the woman lay and shot her twice more, hitting her in the buttocks, according to witnesses and police.

Frye said the woman had so many wounds police could not determine how many times she was shot. Bullets had grazed both sides of her face and pierced her chest, arms, legs and buttocks, she said.

Lorraine and Tim Phillips of the 13000 block of River Road heard gunfire at the end of their driveway, and Tim Phillips went out after the second round of shots.

"I made about three steps down the driveway, and I heard somebody say 'Help me! Help me!' " he said yesterday. "I went for the phone" to call 911.

Mrs. Phillips said the woman crawled, then walked up their long driveway and hid in the cellar doorway. Mrs. Phillips said the woman told her that the man either wanted or tried to rape her.

The gunman returned and stopped at the spot where the woman had been lying, police said. He sat there a minute, Mrs. Phillips said, then left when another car came around the narrow, winding road.

In what police say may be a related development, an officer was shot at last night while responding to a report of a suspicious person about 10 p.m. at Elkridge Landing Road and Winterson Road, near the scene of the abduction. No one was hurt in the shooting and police continued to search the area early today.

The gunman is described as white, about 20 years old, 6 foot 1 inch tall and thin with short brown hair and a brown mustache. He was driving a dark-blue two-door car, possibly made in the mid 1980s.

Pub Date: 11/08/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.