After losing 3-goal lead, River Hill wins near end Crew has hat trick, and winner over Mt. Hebron

November 06, 1997|By Rick Belz | Rick Belz,SUN STAFF

Two individuals dominated last night's Class 2A South regional championship game won by No. 1-ranked River Hill over No. 7-ranked Mount Hebron at Howard, 4-3.

River Hill's Adom Crew scored a hat trick, including the game-winning header with two minutes left to play.

Mount Hebron's Tom Wunk switched from goalkeeper to midfield in the second half and led an unbelievable Vikings' comeback from a 3-0 halftime deficit.

Wunk scored two goals and had an assist, and in the 66th minute, his 25-yard throw-in grazed an unidentified River Hill player before entering the net for the tying goal.

"I'm just relieved we were able to hold on," said Crew, a sophomore striker who has scored 12 goals. "Wunk's long throws were killing us.

River Hill (14-1) will play Patapsco in the state semifinal at Magruder at 7: 30 p.m. tomorrow.

For Mount Hebron (9-5-1), the loss marked the second straight season they have lost a physical, highly competitive and memorable regional championship game. The Vikings lost to Centennial a year ago on a controversial goal.

River Hill dominated the first half. Crew scored on a breakaway in the seventh minute. Todd Tedrow volleyed a loose ball off his knee for a goal in the 23rd minute. And Crew scored River Hill's third goal off a cross from Billy Allen in the 29th minute.

"Crew was our big dog tonight," said a happy River Hill midfielder Chris Hastings.

River Hill coach Bill Stara, whose second-year Hawks won their second regional title, said that "Crew was in a zone tonight. He timed the game-winner just right when the keeper was a step late. It showed a lot of poise to put that kind of shot on goal in this kind of game."

Stara, who now has coached seven straight regional championship teams and 11 overall, also praised his fullbacks, Aaron Pierce and Aaron McKinley and sweeper Elliott Marquis. "We were exceptional in back. We just made some bone-head moves on set pieces."

Stara moved normal sweeper Sam Salganik to midfield to create more scoring, and it worked in the first half.

But Mount Hebron couldn't make anything work.

"Instead of playing our short-passing game, we were trying to knock long balls," Mount Hebron coach Scott Conroy said. "Matt Midura and Pete Lindahl had a serious talk with our players at halftime, and I told them we're not going to just play dead."

Pub Date: 11/06/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.