St. Paul's scores instant win in OT H. Polk-Williams' goal beats Garrison Forest, 1-0

AIS field hockey

November 05, 1997|By Katherine Dunn | Katherine Dunn,SUN STAFF

Hilary Polk-Williams had never missed a shootout goal, so St. Paul's coach Eileen Alban sent her to the line first in sudden-death one-on-ones yesterday at Garrison Forest.

The junior midfielder kept her streak intact.

She forced Garrison goalie Catie Corbin to commit and then drove the ball past her on the right into the far corner of the cage.

Polk-Williams' goal gave the No. 7 Gators a 1-0 victory over No. 6 Garrison Forest in an Association of Independent Schools A Division tournament quarterfinal. The defending champion Gators (11-2-2) now face a rematch of last year's title game at No. 2 Roland Park in tomorrow's 3: 15 semifinal.

Yesterday, it seemed it might take until then to determine a winner.

The Gators and Grizzlies (7-2-6) battled evenly through 50 minutes of regulation, 10 minutes of overtime and five one-on-ones. But when the game moved into sudden-death one-on-ones, the victory came quickly.

After Garrison's Cantey Boyd knocked her shot wide, Polk-Williams nailed the game winner.

Polk-Williams also scored on her first one-on-one, in which the shooter starts at the 25-yard line and has 10 seconds to score. She was third in the rotation, tying the set after the Grizzlies' first shooter, Mindy Walman, scored.

Alban elected to go with Polk-Williams first in sudden death, because she had been the only St. Paul's player to hit her first shot. Grizzlies coach Micul Ann Morse chose Boyd, who had narrowly missed her first attempt.

"I thought maybe the goalkeeper would read the same thing [from Walman]," said Morse, "and I just decided that because it was a sudden victory, I wanted the seniors to have the chance at it."

On her first shot, Boyd had surprised Gators goalie Laura DiCamillo by flicking the ball over her head, but the shot carried a little too far and landed on top of the cage. On her second attempt, Boyd elected to stay on the ground.

"I wasn't really sure whether to do the same thing or try something new," said Boyd. "The goalie sort of reacted when I stopped the ball and I wasn't really sure what to do at that point. I probably should have done the same thing."

Polk-Williams also waited for Corbin to react before making her decision.

"You have to keep looking up, wait for the goalie to make the move and decide what you're going to do," she said. "The goalie just made a different move the second time, and I reacted to her."

The Grizzlies had a couple of chances to end it in overtime thanks to key defensive moves by Karie Reed and Corbin.

Boyd took a shot from the top of the circle on a penalty corner, but St. Paul's Kate Ahearn blocked it. Walman had a lunging close-range shot a few seconds later that rolled wide.

Corbin also saved a goal when she came out to stop Jenny Landsman on a one-on-one break.

"These kinds of games, with the overtimes and one-on-ones, bring out the best in a team," said Polk-Williams. "There's so much pressure throughout the whole thing. It was a great game and both of the goalies played great."

No. 2 Roland Park 4, Spalding 1: Elizabeth Ryan, Erin McInnes, Carey Scanlan and Stasia Thomas scored to lead the host Reds (18-1) past the Cavaliers (8-9-4) in an AIS A Division quarterfinal. Spalding goalie Malia Sweiconek, who had 22 saves in Monday's shootout victory over Park, saved 17 Reds' shots.

No. 8 Bryn Mawr 2, No. 12 Notre Dame Prep 0: All-Metro forward Kim Smith scored two unassisted goals, her second coming with 1: 01 left, to help the Mawrtians (12-2-2) advance in the AIS A Division tournament.

Kate Cole provided outstanding midfield play for the Mawrtians, who will play host to Severn in tomorrow's semifinal at 3: 15. Sarah Disney had eight saves for the Pirates (7-5-4).

Severn 2, No. 14 Friends 1 OT: Jen Hartman scored 63 seconds into the first seven-on-seven overtime period as the visiting Admirals (8-6-3) edged the Quakers (7-7-3). Severn's Biff Moorhead and Friends' Jackie Wilkins scored first-half goals in the AIS A Division quarterfinal.

Pub Date: 11/05/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.