Towson falls to Hebron in shootout Generals fail to score in 4 penalty-stroke tries

November 04, 1997|By Stan Rappaport | Stan Rappaport,SUN STAFF

Towson coach Holly West had an uneasy feeling when yesterday's Class 2A state semifinal at Goucher College against Mount Hebron wasn't settled in 60 minutes of regulation and 20 minutes of overtime.

There was a good reason why.

In the playoffs, games that are tied after overtime are decided by penalty strokes. West knew this could happen, but her team rarely practices penalty strokes in the postseason.

"I was afraid it was going to haunt me," West said afterward.

Mount Hebron, which has practiced penalty strokes for weeks, got goals from its first and third shooters. The Generals failed to score on four attempts, and lost the shootout, 2-0.

"We practiced them [penalty strokes] but we didn't take them as seriously as we needed to," said West. "That's not going to happen next year."

Mount Hebron, two-time Howard County champion, took a 1-0 lead 3: 07 into the game on Melissa Lennon's third goal of the season. The 13th-ranked Vikings (14-1-1) dominated most of the first half.

"We didn't play up to our ability," West said about her team's first-half performance. "At halftime, I told the girls they had to give us their best 30 minutes."

They did. Towson (9-6-1) played hard, ran fast and controlled most of the play. Its reward was Lindsay Buchanan's ninth goal of the season that tied the game with 13: 14 remaining.

Mount Hebron, which will play Bethesda-Chevy Chase, a 3-0 winner over Easton, Saturday in the championship, outplayed Towson for much of the two 10-minute overtime periods. However, Towson's Heather Schoelkopf put two nice shots on goal in the second overtime that were saved by goalie Katelyn Hoffman.

While neither team was clearly better -- each had chances to win in regulation -- the Vikings were far superior when it came to penalty strokes.

In the shootout, a coach selects five players to shoot. Katie Jeschke scored first for Mount Hebron. Towson goalie Katie Coyne, who scored on a penalty stroke in the season against Edgewood, missed on her attempt. Coyne stopped Mount Hebron's Sue Lee's shot, and Hoffman did the same against Buchanan.

Trish Derwart scored for Mount Hebron, but Kate Finley missed wide for Towson. Coyne, who finished the game with eight saves, then saved Leigh Langmead's shot. The game ended with Hoffman stopping Rachel Tracey's shot.

"I hate for it to come down to something like that," West said. "It's a tough way to lose."

Towson began the season 0-4-1 against tough competition. But it became a better team because of it.

"It was a good experience for us," said Coyne of the first five games. "We became more of a team. I think it's great that we got this far, but I'm sorry it had to end like that."

"I'm very proud of them," West said.

Pub Date: 11/04/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.