North County outlasts Arundel, wins shootout Goalie Jones secures 9-8 triumph in region semis

November 02, 1997|By Glenn P. Graham | Glenn P. Graham,SUN STAFF

One way or another, North County senior keeper Shawn Jones had a chance to be the hero last night against Arundel.

After 100 minutes of soccer couldn't decide which team would advance to the Class 4A East Region final, it came down to penalty kicks.

After the first 10 field players for each team took their turns in the shootout, North County had a 9-8 lead with Arundel junior goalie Matt Shepard looking to get the Wildcats even once again.

Jones would then be the last shooter in the first round if needed. It didn't have to happen.

Jones turned back Shepard's shot to give the shootout win to North County, 9-8, after the two teams played to a 1-1 draw through regulation and two 10-minute overtime sessions.

North County will next meet county rival Severna Park in the region final, set for 7 p.m. Tuesday at Chesapeake High.

With the shootout tied at 7, Jones came up big on Chris Ewing's shot, diving to his left to turn it back and open the door for North County, which then got goals from Mark Bloomquist and Ryan Moyer to secure the win.

Favored Arundel had its chances during regulation and overtime, but once the game went to penalty kicks, it was anyone's game. And North County was able to get it done.

The soggy field conditions at Chesapeake High didn't affect Arundel's short passing game in the first half, but the Wildcats were unable to finish any of their scoring chances until midfielder Kyle Beckerman scored 1: 55 before intermission.

The sophomore collected a ball from 30 yards out, had time to dribble to the 18 before finding the lower left corner.

North County tied the game in the eighth minute of the second half on a nifty direct kick from Moyer.

Morris Harris was tripped up along the right side just outside the penalty area to set up the direct kick. Moyer took care of the rest, bending a left-footed shot to the top left corner.

Both teams had chances to break the tie before overtime.

Beckerman sent a short cross to senior Jon Donahue, whose header sailed just high over the North County crossbar.

Donahue had another chance with 15 minutes left, shooting from 10 yards out, but Jones was there.

Moyer had a long run down the left side, hitting a shot from 18 yards out right at Shepard.

More opportunities for Arundel came in the first overtime period with Ewing sending a shot high from in close and then Beckerman setting up Matt Hunter, who shot wide from the left side.

Severna Park 3, Glen Burnie 1: The Falcons overcame a 1-0 halftime deficit with three second-half goals to advance to the Class 4A East Region final.

Midfielder Billy Mooney got the Falcons (10-5-1) even early in the half and forward Joe Weidman provided the game-winner shortly after. With 17 minutes left, Bernie Edwards made it 3-1 with an assist from Mooney.

Glen Burnie took a 1-0 lead when forward Ryan Thompson scored off a feed from Scott Gilde. The Gophers finished their season with a 6-8-1 mark.

Pub Date: 11/02/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.