Hebron rolls past Central, earns River Hill rematch Chacon's two goals spark 6-0 rout in 2A semifinal

November 02, 1997|By Edward Lee | Edward Lee,SUN STAFF

When Mount Hebron was edged by River Hill earlier this year in double overtime, the Vikings knew their only chance to avenge the loss was to meet the Hawks in the playoffs.

Mount Hebron will get that opportunity Wednesday after the Vikings cruised to a 6-0 win over Central High School of Prince George's County yesterday in a rainy and muddy Class 2A South Region semifinal game.

Mount Hebron (7-4-1) scored all six goals in the first half, including two in the first 12 minutes of the game by sophomore forward Christian Chacon.

"It's time to redeem ourselves," Chacon said of the rematch against River Hill. "We're ready to go."

Said Mount Hebron coach Scott Conroy: "We're looking forward to playing them. It should be a great game."

Yesterday's game seemed to be over shortly after it began.

Chacon stripped a Central defender of the ball and booted it into the top shelf with only 15 seconds elapsed off the game clock.

Chacon scored his second goal of the game when he rocketed a shot off the chest of Central goalkeeper Nana Badu and into the net in the 11th minute.

Central coach Willie Shelton replaced Badu with Isaiah Garcia, but the move didn't pay off.

Three Central defenders pulled down Vikings junior midfielder Matt Midura, who kicked a penalty shot underneath Garcia for a 3-0 lead in the 13th minute.

Junior midfielder Pete Lindahl made it 4-0 when he snapped an indirect kick around a wall of Central defenders and into the left corner in the 22nd minute.

Sophomore fullback Brendan Glancey padded the lead as he dribbled by a defender and chipped the ball over a sliding Garcia in the 27th minute.

Junior midfielder Bobby Bergin ended the scoring when he booted the ball into the left corner in the 29th minute.

Vikings goalkeepers Tom Wunk and Mike Drnec were rarely challenged.

When the second half began, Conroy pulled most of his starters, inserted Wunk and Drnec as forwards, and put freshman Michael Sormanti in goal for his first varsity game.

But Mount Hebron did not escape the game unblemished. Senior midfielder Matt Wallace is questionable for Wednesday's game after a Central defender stepped on Wallace's right knee.

Conroy credited the offense for its quick start.

"The key is that we played quick and got the goals early," Conroy said. "Whenever you get a visiting team coming into your town and weather like this, it [scoring early] makes us feel more confident."

Central's Shelton said his team couldn't overcome the early setback.

"It was one of those things," he said. "The first half was bad for us and the weather played a factor. But we still have a good team."

Pub Date: 11/02/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.