Chesapeake leads late, but loses in shootout Westminster ties region final with :20 to play

Field hockey

October 31, 1997|By John W. Stewart | John W. Stewart,SUN STAFF

Chesapeake, on the verge of a monumental upset, first saw part of its world cave in and then 15 minutes later saw all its hopes crushed.

This was the Class 4A South regional championship game against unbeaten, No. 1-ranked Westminster, and the visiting Cougars (11-5) had diligently protected a 1-0 lead for nearly 55 minutes after a beeline shot from Emily Ison went straight into the goal.

In the fifth minute, Ison, her team's season-long scoring leader, took a pass from Sarah Wyant and drilled the ball just inside the left post from 10 yards out. Westminster goalkeeper Emily White did a split, but had no chance at a save.

"That's an automatic reaction, and you either do or you don't," White said.

However, with victory at hand, the Chesapeake players, who had dominated most of the action with their speed and stickwork, found out just how cruel games can be sometimes.

The clock was on the field, and Westminster had the ball in the offensive end, when, from amidst a crush of players in the circle, the Owls' Lindsay Iadevaia rapped the ball into a near corner of the cage. Goalkeeper Rana Schreiber, screened on the play, had no chance at a save.

Two scoreless 10-minute overtimes later sent the two teams into a shootout, one-on-one strokes, shooter against goalkeeper in five-player sets.

Westminster scored on its first two chances, and won when Chesapeake was scoreless with only one shooter left.

Westminster (15-0), the defending Class 4A champion, will play Walt Whitman, a 2-1 victor over Wootten, in one semifinal at 2: 45 p.m. Wednesday at Goucher College. The other will match Churchill and Severna Park.

In the shootout, Chesapeake's Wyant started against White, who stopped it with her hands. Carli Harris netted the first Owls' shot, and after White deflected Pam Hemmings' bid, Lisa Duke made it 2-0.

Then, in quick succession, White made a diving deflection on Ison; the Cougars' Schreiber thwarted Cindy Reese; and Chrissy Franklin's attempt was right at White, and she stopped the ball with her pads.

As is usually the case, the winners erupted, and the losers, most of them in tears and clinging to each other, made their ways slowly off the field.

"At that point [with the clock on the field], you think the game is ours," Chesapeake coach Jerry Raab said. "I thought we had it. In the end, they wore down our first string."

Ison and Wyant are members of Team Maryland, and both had outstanding efforts, along with key defender Kristy Baker.

Iadevaia's goal sent the Westminster players leaping and screaming, and left their Chesapeake counterparts dazed, as though all the air had gone out of their victory balloon.

Chesapeake had the better scoring chances in overtime, but White made a solid kick save when one-on-one against Colleen Plitt, and later an Owls defender drove a ball out of the goal mouth.

It was a brutal finish to a well-played game, and particularly disheartening for the 10 Chesapeake seniors, some of whom were members of the 1995 regional championship team.

White added, "In strokes, you block out everything, just keep a cool head. It comes down to reaction or guess. When the ball is hit slowly, you can go after it; fast, and you have no time to think."

Pub Date: 10/31/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.