Sardis gets No. 13 Terps rolling to 6-0 rout of Loyola Rebound of penalty kick wakes up sluggish offense

October 30, 1997|By Jamison Hensley | Jamison Hensley,CONTRIBUTING WRITER

At times, Maryland tends to lose concentration and aggressiveness. But wait until after halftime.

Using a six-goal, second-half outburst, the No. 13 Terrapins revived themselves from a first-half funk to romp past Loyola, 6-0, yesterday at Alumnae Field at the College of Notre Dame. Maryland has totaled 68 percent of its goals in the second half, outscoring its opponents 25-6 after intermission.

It matched the largest margin of victory in this 56-year-old state rivalry.

"There are definitely times when we haven't given teams enough focus," said Jason Sardis, who started the run by knocking in a rebound of his penalty kick early in the second half. "But in the second half, we got back to playing Maryland soccer."

Sardis, a freshman forward who was starting his seventh game, has scored in four consecutive games and increased his team-best goals to six.

"That goal early in the second half was really important for us," said Maryland coach Sasho Cirovski, who had to rotate his lineup with two injured defenders sitting out. "Jason's a goal-scorer; he's scored goals everywhere he's been. I'm not happy that he missed the penalty kick, but he eventually scored because of his goal-scoring instincts."

Maryland (12-3-1) won back-to-back games for the first time in more than two weeks. Loyola (8-9-2), which hasn't scored against the Terps since 1994, lost its third consecutive game and has a 10-day layoff before the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference tournament.

The Greyhounds, who beat defending national champion St. John's and tied nationally ranked Penn State earlier this season, came out confident and pushed Maryland in the first half.

But Loyola began playing sloppily, drawing four yellow cards in a 20-minute stretch. The last one became costly as Eddie Testa threw a punch and received his second yellow card, putting the Greyhounds a man down for the final 46 1/2 minutes.

Then in the first three minutes of the second half, Terps midfielder Judah Cooks was taken down by a Loyola defender in the box, setting up Sardis' penalty kick.

Just four minutes later, Loyola fouled a few yards out of the box, giving the Terps a direct kick. Keith Beach curled his left-footed shot around the five-man Greyhounds wall to put Maryland ahead 2-0.

The Terps turned the game into a rout by closing out the game with three goals in a 17-minute span late in the second half. Maryland converted on six of its final nine shots as it recorded its sixth shutout of the season and its third in a row against Loyola.

"Our kids played hard," Loyola coach Bill Sento said. "I thought the first half was pretty even. But the breaks haven't been going our way lately."

Virginia 3, Mount St. Mary's 0: Chris Albright had a goal and an assist as the No. 3 host Cavaliers (11-2-3) ruined the Mountaineers' regular-season finale. Mount St. Mary's is 10-6-2.


UMBC 5, Mount St. Mary's 0: Shannon Bagrosky scored two goals as the Retrievers (8-8) trounced the host Mountaineers (4-10-2).

Pub Date: 10/30/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.