Man killed in crash with vehicle fleeing police stop Teen driver is alleged to have run red light

October 30, 1997|By Peter Hermann | Peter Hermann,SUN STAFF

A 76-year-old man trying to help a relative see a doctor was killed yesterday when his station wagon was broadsided by a car whose teen-age driver had allegedly sped away from police and raced three miles on city streets.

Frank Julius Bochnowicz left his Gardenville home shortly before 9 a.m. and was driving to pick up his aunt and take her to a doctor appointment when the collision occurred at a Northeast Baltimore intersection.

Bochnowicz, a retired Bethleham Steel worker, was pronounced dead about 10 a.m. at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center. His only son, Frank Bochnowicz Jr., 47, said yesterday the family had not been told that the incident began with a police stop.

Police said the driver of the fleeing car, identified as Willie Lee Daniel Jr., 18, of the 3300 block of Moravia Road, was not injured. He was charged with felony vehicular manslaughter.

Two passengers in his car, girls ages 14 and 17, suffered minor injuries and were treated at Bayview, police said. They were not charged and were released to their parents.

The incident began when Eastern District Officer Steven Bagshaw pulled over a 1986 Ford Mustang at East Eager Street and Broadway. The officer said the car had license plates stolen from a truck.

When Bagshaw got out of his cruiser, police said, the driver of the Mustang sped off. Bagshaw briefly pursued the car but lost sight of it at Harford Road, where the driver turned north.

Witnesses told police the driver was speeding up Harford Road, driving erratically, and got onto Walther Avenue. Police said the car got a flat tire when it hit a curb but continued for a block until it ran a red light and collided with the station wagon at Frankford Avenue.

A department spokeswoman said officers had stopped chasing the car two miles from the crash site. Police pursuits in the city are banned unless officers are after a dangerous felon, and then only with approval from supervisors.

"The officer broke it off as soon as he lost sight of the car on Harford Road," said Officer Angelique Cook-Hayes. "All the witnesses told investigators that no police were involved when this accident occurred," she said.

Cook-Hayes said the first report to police that an accident had occurred came from 911 calls made by witnesses at the crash site at Walther Boulevard and Frankford Avenue in Northeast Baltimore.

Pub Date: 10/30/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.