Janice Faye Braase, 63, longtime volunteerJanice Faye...

October 27, 1997

Janice Faye Braase, 63, longtime volunteer

Janice Faye Braase, a longtime volunteer, died Thursday of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, known as Lou Gehrig's disease, at Johns Hopkins Hospital. She was 63 and lived in Towson.

Mrs. Braase had been a volunteer for more than 40 years with the Eye Bank of Maryland, Stella Maris Hospice and WBAL-TV's Call for Action. In 1966, she was honorary chairwoman of the Christmas Seal campaign.

The former Janice Faye Rademacher was born in Garretson, S.D., where she graduated from high school. She attended the University of South Dakota and, in 1976, graduated cum laude with a bachelor's degree in social work from the College of Notre Dame of Maryland.

In 1954, she married Ordell Braase and moved to Baltimore, where he played defensive end for the Colts from 1957 to 1968.

Mrs. Braase enjoyed gardening and cooking and spending summers at Minnesota Lake, Minn.

She was an elder at Maryland Presbyterian Church, 1105 Providence Road, Towson, where a memorial service is set for 1 p.m. tomorrow.

Survivors include her husband; three sons, Thomas Braase and Andrew Braase, both of Baltimore, and Jonathan Braase of Phoenix, Ariz.; a daughter, Elizabeth Hopkins of Darlington, Harford County; her mother, Selma "Sally" Rademacher, and brother, John Rademacher, both of Fergus Falls, Minn.; two sisters, Jeanne Wold of Grand Forks, N.D., and Jane Miller of Pelican Lake, Minn.; and six grandchildren.

Maynard L. Fones, a former North Baltimore resident who founded an advertising agency, died of kidney failure Friday at a hospital in Greenwich, Conn. He was 69.

A resident of Old Greenwich, Conn., Mr. Fones was founder and chief executive of Fones & Mann, a pharmaceutical advertising agency based in New York and Raleigh, N.C.

Born and raised in Washington, he earned a bachelor's degree in 1952 from Western Maryland College, where he played varsity baseball and football.

A memorial service will be tomorrow in Stamford, Conn.

Survivors include his wife of 41 years, the former Mary Elizabeth Steadman; two sons, Larry Fones of Myrtle Beach, S.C., and John Fones of Easton, Conn.; two daughters, Mary Lee Fones of Branford, Conn., and Nancy Fones Dearing of Old Greenwich; a brother, Larry Fones of Fairfax, Va.; and five grandchildren.

M. Nelson 'Nels' Ross, 77, electrical engineer, volunteer

M. Nelson "Nels" Ross, a semiretired electrical contractor who volunteered with Habitat for Humanity, died Thursday of a heart attack at Sinai Hospital. The Timonium resident was 77.

Mr. Ross began his career in 1943 with Westinghouse Electric Corp. in Pittsburgh, after earning a degree in electrical engineering at Purdue University. In 1964, he joined Martin Marietta Corp. in Middle River and retired in 1984 from its Teledyne division, which it sold some years earlier.

He established a contracting firm and at the time of his death still had several clients.

As a volunteer with Habitat for Humanity, he helped restore two homes in Waverly. He also volunteered aboard the Liberty ship ** SS John W. Brown, helping restore the vessel's electrical system.

He was an active member of Timonium United Methodist Church, where his wife of 53 years, the former Ruth Custer, was an associate pastor. He was a church trustee, usher and member of the house and finance committees.

He was born in Hattiesburg, Miss., and raised in Garrett, Ind.

Services are set for 10 a.m. today at the church at Pot Spring and Chantry roads.

Survivors include his wife; three sons, Craig A. Ross and David G. Ross, both of Timonium, and Steven W. Ross of Fort Wayne, Ind.; a daughter, Carol R. Wirth of Timonium; his mother, Sallie Nelson Ross of Garrett; two brothers, Harold Ross of Lafayette, Calif., and Robert Ross of Chicago; and seven grandchildren.

William J. Bullen, a retired Baltimore Gas and Electric Co. vice president and volunteer, died of respiratory failure Oct. 14 at Memorial Hospital at Easton. He was 90 and lived in Denton.

The former Rodgers Forge and Towson resident joined BGE in 1928, and retired as vice president of staff services and management in 1972.

He also taught business and accounting courses at Loyola College for many years.

The Baltimore native was a 1924 graduate of Loyola High School and earned a bachelor's degree from Loyola College in 1928.

He enlisted in the Army Air Corps during World War II and was discharged with the rank of lieutenant colonel. In 1967, he was discharged as a colonel in the Air Force Reserve.

He was a longtime communicant of Immaculate Conception Roman Catholic Church in Towson and a volunteer with the Mission Helpers, St. Elizabeth's School and Rehabilitation Center and the Red Cross.

Mr. Bullen collected antiques, especially pocket watches and canes, some of which date to the 18th century.

His first wife, the former Mary Coppinger, died in 1961.

Plans for a memorial service were incomplete.

He is survived by his wife of 33 years, the former Katherine Sherald; two daughters, Mary Lou Parsons of Denton and Jeannie Bullen of Lincoln, Neb.; a stepson, Louis Zupnik of Shrewsbury, Pa.; two grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.

Pub Date: 10/27/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.