Bryn Mawr scores late, ties Grizzlies Garrison Forest yields first goal in seven games

October 23, 1997|By Rich Scherr | Rich Scherr,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

Of the many fans at yesterday's Association of Independent Schools showdown between No. 6-ranked Bryn Mawr and No. 10 Garrison Forest, none was more excited about the 1-1 tie than Leighton Wheeler.

The mother of identical twin daughters -- one on each team -- knew she had just averted a potential family crisis.

"It's a sigh of relief," said Wheeler, who wore a school's button on each lapel. "I'm very attached to both teams."

Yesterday's tie also knotted Bryn Mawr (10-0-2) and Garrison Forest (4-1-5) at the top of the AIS A Division Applebee League. The Mawrtians completed their league schedule at 4-0-1; the Grizzlies are 3-0-1 with one league game left.

If the Grizzlies beat Park tomorrow, they force a tie for the league lead. Then, the two teams face a blind draw to select the top Applebee spot when teams are seeded for November's tourney.

For a while yesterday, it seemed as if the Grizzlies might take first place all for themselves.

Cantey Boyd's goal following a flurry in front of the cage 3: 41 into the second half gave them a 1-0 lead. Bryn Mawr pulled even on Kate Cole's goal with 2: 45 to play. After a penalty corner, Cole deflected in a ball from the Mawrtians' Jen Ahn.

"It was one of our corner plays. It was luck, I think," said Cole.

The goal, the first against Garrison Forest in seven games, capped off a furious 10-minute period in which Bryn Mawr got the ball in scoring position a half-dozen times, but came away empty.

No. 13 Notre Dame Prep 0, No. 8 Friends 0: Despite finishing with a 9-3 advantage in shots and holding the Quakers (6-4-3) to one penalty corner, the Pirates (5-1-4) could only manage their fourth tie of the season.

Pub Date: 10/23/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.