Chesapeake, Severna Park must share county title Teams are scoreless in 2 OTs as defense rules

October 22, 1997|By Glenn P. Graham | Glenn P. Graham,SUN STAFF

As unsatisfying as it may be to play 100 minutes of soccer and have little decided, Severna Park and Chesapeake still came away reasonably pleased with the 0-0 double-overtime tie that gave the teams a share of the county championship last night.

"Who deserves to go home a loser tonight?" Chesapeake coach Lin Sullivan said. "We don't feel that way and Severna Park certainly didn't deserve to lose. Maybe this was the best win-win situation for both teams."

Sullivan's Cougars (10-3-2) took it to the host Falcons (10-3-2) most of the way in a match in which defense won out.

The Severna Park backs, led by junior sweeper Meredith McAlister, had an answer for everything Chesapeake sent their way. And at the other end, Cougars junior keeper Beth Schull was up to the task on a couple of occasions to keep the Falcons scoreless.

"They just kept coming at us, but our defense works well together. They kept sending it long on us so we had to watch for that. We all played hard and that's all we can ask for," McAlister said.

Chesapeake came out fast in the first half, controlling the midfield and moving well without the ball to create some scoring chances, but the Cougars were unable to finish.

Most of Severna Park's early offense came on counters. Sophomore Holly Noga got free a couple of times, but Chesapeake sophomore fullback Lindsay Ries made sure she didn't stay open for long, twice breaking up scoring chances.

Severna Park increased the pressure midway through the second half after goalie Kerry York collided with Chesapeake forward Brooke Clyde and had to leave the game with a bruised knee. Sophomore midfielder Meg Miller replaced York and made a fine stop, cutting off a corner kick when she first went into goal.

The Falcons responded. Allison Dooley sent a cross to Colleen Rodger, but Schull was there for the save.

With eight minutes remaining in regulation, Chesapeake's Schull got to a Meghan Young shot from in front and Dooley, a defender, was there to turn aside the rebound chance.

Chesapeake's best opportunity came early in the first overtime when Lauren Gontkof collected an indirect kick from Ginny Jorde at the 18-yard mark, turned and sent a shot off the left crossbar.

"Our defense was the strong point. It stepped up once again," Severna Park coach Joyce Stefancik said. "This was a great game, a lot of skill from both teams. Both teams had some opportunities, but the defenses were there. It feels good to be a part of this one."

"Our girls were up for this one tonight and Severna Park was definitely up for it. It was a case of two excellent teams going at each other all day for the county championship," said Sullivan.

Last season, it was Arundel who came away with the county championship with a win over Chesapeake. The previous two seasons, Severna Park lost overtime decisions -- first to Old Mill in and then to South River. This season, both teams get the chance to enjoy the title.

Pub Date: 10/22/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.