Forrest Laverne Farris, 68, Episcopal rectorThe Rev...

October 20, 1997

Forrest Laverne Farris, 68, Episcopal rector

The Rev. Forrest Laverne Farris, who was rector of St. Margaret's Episcopal Church in Annapolis from 1969 to 1990, died Oct. 14 after a long illness at Goodwin House in Alexandria, Va. He was 68 and lived in Fairfax, Va.

Born in Bicknell, Ind., Mr. Farris graduated from Indiana Central College in Indianapolis in 1952. While in college he served Methodist churches in Indiana.

He graduated from Westminster Theological Seminary of the Methodist Church in 1955 and was ordained to the ministry that year. He was ordained an Episcopal priest in 1962.

Beginning in 1955, Mr. Farris served at Methodist churches in Washington Grove, Bethesda and Riderwood, and at Episcopal churches in Baltimore, Relay and Cumberland before coming to Annapolis. He retired in 1990 and became priest associate at St. Timothy's Episcopal Church in Littlewood, Colo., from 1990 to 1993.

Mr. Farris was active in the Civil Air Patrol and the Kiwanis Club, where he had been president of his local chapter and lieutenant governor for Maryland. He also was a member of the Scottish Rite and Order of the Eastern Star and was a Knights Templar.

Services were Friday.

Mr. Farris is survived by his wife of 46 years, the former Rita Dyer of Fairfax, Va.; two sons, John Farris of Annapolis and David Farris of Chicago; a daughter, Susan Farris Martin of Fairfax; and eight grandchildren.

Adamandios G. Gafos, 57, electrical engineer

Adamandios G. Gafos, an electrical and acoustical engineer at the Naval Surface Warfare Center in Annapolis for 33 years, died of multiple myeloma Oct. 12 at his home in Timonium. He was 57.

Born in Chios, Greece, Mr. Gafos came to the United States at age 7, with his father, a ship captain who passed along the love of the sea to his son. He lived most of his life in Belair-Edison in Northeast Baltimore and graduated from Baltimore Polytechnic Institute in 1959.

After graduating from the Johns Hopkins University with a bachelor of science degree in electrical engineering in 1963, he went to work as a scientist and engineer at the U.S. Navy Marine Engineering Laboratory in Annapolis. He performed research on how to reduce the amount of sound on Navy ships and submarines, work for which he received the Navy Meritorious Civilian Service Award in 1983.

His illness forced him to retire as head of the Submarine Silencing Improvement Group at the laboratory in June 1996.

In 1977, he married Jo Marie Brown, and they moved to Timonium in 1995.

Services were Wednesday.

Other survivors include two sons, John Gafos and George Gafos, both of Timonium; two daughters, Heather Armstrong and Stacey Matos, both of Baltimore; his mother, Eugenia Gafos of Timonium; and a sister, Anthepy Gafos Nelson of Timonium.

Johnathan A. Scribner, 73, laborer, metalworker, driver

Johnathan A. Scribner, who worked as a laborer, metalworker and chauffeur, died of cancer Wednesday at Caton Manor Nursing Center in Baltimore. The East Baltimore resident was 73.

Born in Middlesex, Va., Mr. Scribner grew up in New York and served in the Army during World War II. After he was discharged, he moved to Baltimore.

In 1949, he married Gertrude Thompson. They divorced after 10 years.

In 1964, he married Marlene Johnson. They divorced after eight years.

Services are planned for 11: 30 a.m. tomorrow at March Funeral Home Inc., 1011 E. North Ave.

In addition to his former wives, he is survived by three sons, Kedrick Scribner of Baltimore, Carlos Scribner of W.Va., and Jay Scribner of Washington; four daughters, Melva Scribner and Linda Scribner, both of Washington; and Sharon Scribner and Kimetha Johnson, both of Baltimore; his stepmother, Rebecca Scribner; five brothers, Edward Scribner, Robert Scribner, Donald Scribner, Charles Scribner and Harry Scribner Jr.; and two sisters, Elsie Cornish and Brenda Smith, all of Baltimore.

Raleigh E. Stokes, 84, clerk at city courthouse

Raleigh E. Stokes, a retired Baltimore City courthouse employee, died of pneumonia Oct. 13 at Atlantic General Hospital in Berlin. He was 84 and lived in Ocean Pines.

Mr. Stokes was born in Greenville, S.C., grew up in Waverly, graduated from Baltimore City College in 1933 and began working in the courthouse as a docket clerk. In 1968, he was appointed chief clerk of the old Supreme Bench but was defeated when he ran for the post in the 1970 election. He then worked as a courtroom clerk until he retired in 1975.

He was a member of the 3rd District Democratic Organization, a life member of Concordia Lodge No. 13 of A.F. & A.M. and attended Towson Presbyterian Church.

He lived in the Waverly area until the early 1970s, when he moved to the Idlewylde area. In 1992, he moved to Ocean Pines.

In 1935, he married Margaret Dorsey, who died in 1994.

Services were Thursday.

He is survived by a daughter, Nancy Neal of Ocean Pines; and two granddaughters.

Agnes Cawley Doucette, 86, proofreader

Agnes Cawley Doucette, a retired proofreader and Baltimore native, died Friday of complications from intestinal surgery at a hospital in Framingham, Mass., where she resided. She was 86.

After graduating from the College of Notre Dame of Maryland in the early 1930s, she worked as a proofreader for Encyclopaedia Britannica and later for The Baltimore Sun newspapers. She retired about 1970 when she married Thomas E. Doucette and moved to Framingham.

A Mass of Christian burial will be offered tomorrow in Massachusetts.

In addition to her husband, survivors include a sister, Sister Mary Eileen Cawley, S.S.N.D., of Baltimore; a stepson, Barry Doucette of Mansfield Center, Conn.; and many nieces and nephews.

Pub Date: 10/20/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.