Woman, 5 children treated for carbon monoxide

October 19, 1997|BY A SUN STAFF WRITER

A woman and five children were treated at Maryland Shock Trauma Center for carbon monoxide poisoning -- apparently caused by a clogged chimney pipe in their Baltimore County home.

Judith D. Howard, 52, of the 3600 block of Langrehr Road in Rockdale, and four of the children were released after treatment. Howard said her granddaughter Channel Ford, 12, was expected to be released today.

Howard said she and the children felt ill when they awakened yesterday morning. Howard said she thought they had the flu. But after seeing Channel with eyes "in the back of her head" and "turning yellow," Howard called 911.

She said she turned on the heat Friday night, but her chimney had not been cleaned. "We're all lucky," she said. "You can't see this thing. You can't smell it. It's really a silent killer."

Pub Date: 10/19/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.