Two-alarm fire causes $50,000 damage to house

October 16, 1997

A Taneytown couple were forced from their home late Tuesday by a two-alarm fire that heavily damaged about one-third of the two-story house and destroyed an attached garage where the accidental blaze started, fire officials said.

Richard Garrett, 27, was replacing a gas filter on a Corvette in the garage of the home in the first block of Kenan St. when gasoline dripped from the filter and was ignited by a droplight that he was using for better visibility, said Bob Thomas, deputy chief fire marshal.

Garrett suffered first- and second-degree burns to his chest, neck and face, Thomas said. He was taken by state police MedEvac helicopter to the Baltimore Regional Burn Center at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, where he was treated and released, a hospital spokeswoman said yesterday.

Garrett's wife, Jennifer, 25, was not injured, Thomas said.

About 50 firefighters from Taneytown, Harney, Union Bridge, Winfield and Kingsdale, Pa., brought the fire under control in about 20 minutes, Thomas said.

Damage to the house and garage was estimated at $50,000, Thomas said. The sports car was destroyed, he said.

Pub Date: 10/16/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.