In thick of title chase, Hebron, River Hill tie Vikings at 6-0-1

Hawks and Centennial at 5-1-1 with two games left

October 15, 1997|By Stan Rappaport | Stan Rappaport,SUN STAFF

No one won, no one lost. But any time a game has Howard County title implications -- like yesterday's Mount Hebron-River Hill clash did -- sometimes a 1-1 tie doesn't look so bad.

"I'm upset we didn't win, but glad we didn't lose," said River Hill sophomore Kristi Kruger, who scored the Hawks' goal.

"I'm glad we came out with a tie and not a loss," said Mount Hebron's Katie Jeschke.

The tie leaves the county race like this: Defending champion Mount Hebron is 6-0-1 and River Hill and Centennial are 5-1-1.

Each team has two games remaining. The Vikings (8-1-1 overall) are at Howard tomorrow and play host to Centennial (6-3-1) on Monday. River Hill (8-2-2) has home games against Centennial tomorrow and Atholton Monday.

Mount Hebron can win the county title tomorrow with a win over Howard (0-7 league) and River Hill and Centennial play to a tie.

If Mount Hebron wins tomorrow, the loser of the River Hill-Centennial game will be eliminated from title contention.

Mount Hebron could have secured the title with a win yesterday and a victory tomorrow. "Now we'll just have to play it out," said Mount Hebron coach Jeannette Ireland.

Second-year River Hill opened the scoring with eight minutes left in the first half. Kruger tipped a pass from outside the circle by Laura Mason, who broke her nose Monday in practice, past goalie Katelyn Hoffman.

Sue Lee tied it for Mount Hebron three minutes later when her shot from the right side went off the foot of River Hill sweeper Marni Rosenbaum and past goalie Amy Willis.

Both teams had chances in the second half and overtime. In fact, eight minutes into the second half an apparent Mount Hebron goal was waived off because the official ruled the Vikings player had her foot in the cage before the ball went in.

In the first overtime, Jeschke had a clear shot from the center of the circle. "I thought if I shot it hard it would go in," Jeschke said.

The shot was hard, but right at Willis, who saved it with her pad.

River Hill had two scoring opportunities in the first overtime. In the opening minute, the Hawks had a two-player breakaway, but Hoffman came out for the kick save. After the save, Hoffman moved back toward the goal and collided with River Hill's Allison Bryan. Bryan apparently got hit with Hoffman's stick and received a gash on her forehead and left the game.

Later, Kruger moved the ball up the left side past two defenders and right at Hoffman. Her shot, from just roughly four feet away, missed by inches to the left.

Pub Date: 10/15/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.