Mt. Hebron tunes up for showdown 4-1 win over Glenelg gets Vikings prepared for River Hill battle

October 14, 1997|By Rick Belz | Rick Belz,SUN STAFF

Expecting a tough test against Glenelg, Mount Hebron coach Scott Conroy shook up his midfield in an effort to get more speed.

"We were getting too predictable coming down the middle so we tried to work the outsides today," Conroy said. "I was worried about Glenelg [7-5 overall, 3-4 league] because they had beaten Oakland Mills and lost a 1-0 game to Wilde Lake."

The experiment paid off with a 4-1 victory over the less-skilled but hard-working Gladiators.

The No. 9-ranked Vikings (5-1-1, 4-1) were so successful they had a chance to play the second team the final 20 minutes and rest the first team for tomorrow's showdown with River Hill.

"This was a good sign for a young team like ours not to be looking past Glenelg to River Hill," Conroy said.

Conroy also rested his most skilled midfielder, Pete Lindahl, and his best marking back, Kyle Chacon, for the entire second half after they both drew yellow cards late in the first half.

"We just had too much skill for them and subbed a lot," Conroy said. "They gamble a lot on the offsides trap and they got burned a couple of times."

The moves to bolster the midfield speed included switching Christian Chacon from forward to outside midfield, Brendan Glancey from marking back to outside midfield and Matt Midura from sweeper to center midfield. Bobby Bergin took over for Midura at sweeper.

"I thought Midura played well," Conroy said

Mount Hebron scored first in the 15th minute on a header by Ryan Dear off a cross from Christian Chacon.

Midura scored Mount Hebron's second goal in the 33rd minute off an assist by David Lechtrecker.

"I dribbled across the middle at the 18-yard line and played it back across about 10 yards and Matt two-touched it from about 12 yards out and kicked it through the goalkeeper's hands," said Lechtrecker.

Freshman Mike Selawski scored Mount Hebron's third goal in the 47th minute off a throw-in from Bergin that beat Glenelg's offside trap and set up Selawski with a one-on-one against Glenelg goalkeeper Justin Benoliel.

Mount Hebron's starting goalkeeper, Tom Wunk, scored the Vikings' fourth goal in the 67th minute after he was replaced in goal by Mike Drnec.

Playing forward, Wunk took a chip from Christian Chacon and drilled a kick from 6 yards into the net for his second goal this season, making it 4-0.

"Tom would be our best forward if we could play him there," Conroy said. "But he's an outstanding goalkeeper"

Pub Date: 10/14/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.