Calvert Hall loses in upset bid, 2-1 Bullis scores twice in final 11 minutes

October 13, 1997|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF

Calvert Hall controlled yesterday's game against Bullis for 44 minutes before scoring the first goal. But it took less than three of the game's final 11 minutes for Andres Parra and Brian Lavin to lift visiting Bullis to a comeback, 2-1 victory in a battle of nationally ranked high school soccer teams.

Their timely efforts got beyond the outstretched hands of keeper Tom Paparounis (seven saves) after the top-ranked Cardinals (12-2, seven shutouts) had out-shot the Bulldogs, 14-2, in the first half (28-7 for the game).

Bullis is ranked No. 1 by the Washington Post and No. 3 nationally by USA Today. Calvert Hall is ranked 16th nationally.

"We totally dominated from the start. But in five minutes, we fall apart, they score two goals," Calvert Hall's Brian Powell said. He scored the Cardinals' goal but misfired on three other shots. Top scorer Cam Letke had eight shots, and teammates Tim Gober, Brett Wagner and Randy Tolson had two each.

Parra tied the game on his team's sixth shot, a 26-yard direct kick that curled toward the near post with 10: 39 to play.

"Their keeper was respecting [teammate] Micah Cooks, far TTC post," Parra said. "So I bent it near post, and it went in."

P.J. Wakefield's foul on a Bullis player set up the kick.

"We were shoulder-to-shoulder, I cleared it, he [the player] fell down," said Wakefield, who misfired four times yesterday. "That was the turnaround. I didn't like it [the call]."

On Bullis' seventh shot, with 7: 55 left, Lavin capitalized on a defensive miscue, beating two defenders to a long pass and pounding in his team-high 14th goal.

"It's a disappointing loss," said coach Bill Karpovich, whose Cardinals didn't convert on any of their six corner kicks. "But give Bullis credit for hanging in, never giving up."

Much of the credit should go to Parra, whose job it was to mark Letke (11 goals, four assists), and keeper Adam Littlefield, who recovered from a shaky start that included two dropped balls with no Calvert Hall players nearby.

Three of Littlefield's 22 saves included tipping Gober's direct kick over the crossbar, diving to his right to thwart a near-side volley from Letke and cradling Wakefield's point-blank bullet.

"I was a little nervous early, because a lot of things can happen in games of this caliber," said Littlefield. "I bet you if we played tomorrow, the same thing could happen to us."

Littlefield said the Bulldogs (10-0-1) had been burning to avenge last season's 2-0 loss at Calvert Hall.

Earlier this year, he and several teammates had watched Calvert Hall shut out Montgomery County powers Whitman, the defending 4A state champ, and Churchill.

"We knew they would put it to us with their tremendous forwards and their midfield," Lavin said. "They were strong as ever, but we stayed composed, pulled it out in the end."

And Bullis came off the ropes to do it.

A little more than three minutes into the second half, Powell used his head to flick on a far-side cross from Gober. Standing 10 yards from the goal, straight out from Littlefield, Powell sent the ball into the net's near side.

It was only the eighth goal allowed by Littlefield, who has five shutouts behind national team pool sweeper Sanjee Weliwitigoda.

"They dominated us last year, but we proved we could keep up this time," Parra said.

Pub Date: 10/13/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.