Elkton's comeback edges Hickey, 27-20 Second-half ground game keeps Elks undefeated

October 12, 1997|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF

"Speed kills," Elkton coach Bill Russell told a friend before yesterday's game at Hickey. So after playing catch-up with the fleet-footed Bears led to his Elks' first halftime deficit, Russell turned to a hammering ground game.

Junior running back Anthony Marshall (115 yards, 27 carries) scored his second and third touchdowns in the decisive fourth period as Elkton (6-0) came from behind to win, 27-20.

Elkton QB Val Troiani (13-for-28, 190 yards, one touchdown) used Derrick Jefferson (six receptions, 94 yards) among his six targets, but was intercepted twice in the first half by Charles Davis (six interceptions this year) and Donte Cross (three).

The difference was the Elks' gaining 120 of 175 rushing yards in the second half, as Marshall and Larry Lewis (15 carries, 70 yards) ran behind Jason Griffith (6-foot-5, 330 pounds), Joe Lanzi, Artie Webb and Tommy Herron.

Marshall's second score from a yard out and Troiani's extra point kick capped a five-play, 61-yard drive for the Elks' first lead, 21-20, with 9: 45 to play. Marshall's third score, a 2-yard run, was the winning margin with 4: 39 left.

Meanwhile, Hickey (4-2) had the ball three times for 50 of its 272 total yards in the second half when Calvin Tillman had 21 of his 156 yards. Tillman's 80-yard run gave Hickey a 20-14 halftime lead.

"We couldn't do what we wanted to in the second half," said Tillman, who has 968 yards and 14 touchdowns this year. "We wanted this game, but we have to put it behind us."

Just 6: 20 into the first quarter, Cross returned his interception 65 yards to Elkton's 32, setting up Tavon Davis' 32-yard scoring pass to Charles Davis. A Tavon Davis-to-Jeremiah Christian conversion pass made it 8-0.

Two minutes later, however, Herron's 11-yard touchdown catch finished off a five-play, 68-yard drive. Marshall's conversion catch tied the game with 4: 08 left.

But 1: 21 before the second period ended, Roland Brooks turned Tavon Davis' 10-yard pass into a 57-yard score and a 14-8 lead.

Marshall's 11-yard run capped an eight-play, 64-yard drive for a 14-14 tie with 3: 21 left in the half.

The Bears' defense pleased coach Herb Lynch, who saw Kendrick Moore and Jamal Blocker lead two goal line stands. But a Bears receiver twice dropped passes in scoring range, and a fumble set up Elkton's last scoring drive.

"We have some work to do," said Lynch, "But I'm proud that they played good ball."

Pub Date: 10/12/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.