Lynne & Lynda's Best Gift Boutique
Mount Washington has a new shop that's as one-of-a-kind as its owners. Lynne Sennett and Lynda Casserly are sisters who are twins, ex-nuns and survivors of life on the road with a carnival. Lynne & Lynda's Best Gift Boutique (1609 Sulgrave Ave., 410-466-3300) has an eclectic mix of inexpensive to moderately priced gift items, what Sennett calls "a bit of Victorian, a lot of contemporary, lots of antiques." This is the place to go for kitchenware, children's gifts, antique clocks and occasional tables, glassware, hand-painted boxes and furniture, and handcrafted items.
The Best Gift Boutique is child-friendly, with a children's corner where young ones can watch videos or color while Mom or Dad shops. Hours are Tuesday through Saturday, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Who's on second?
Even though it's only October, are you or your favorite baseball fan already dreading the off season? Ease the pain with a life-size "Play Ball!" photographic mural for your family room or a child's bedroom. It features a pitcher getting his signal from the catcher while the batter waits for the pitch. You, the viewer, are "on" second base.
The 8-foot-3-inch by 13-foot-8-inch mural is washable, comes with its own cellulose-based paste and can be trimmed to fit your wall. The suggested retail price is $99.95.
For a full-color brochure showing "Play Ball!" and other murals, call 800-328-3869.
Tips on wood
If your floors are spotted or stained but you aren't ready to have them refinished yet, here are some remedies from the home improvement Web site HouseNet (www.housenet.com), recently expanded and with a new look.
* Dark spots: Use medium steel wool and mineral spirits to clean. Apply vinegar and let sit. If the spot lightens, repeat. If not, apply household bleach and water half and half. If these fail, you will have to try wood bleach (oxalic acid).
* White marks from standing water: These marks are in the finish, so rub the mark with very fine steel wool and apply paste wax.
* Grease and oil: Remove as much as possible with paper towels. Saturate a cloth with dry cleaning fluid and dab the stain.
* Mold or mildew: Wipe up the stain with a rag dampened with household bleach.
* Wax or chewing gum: Harden the wax or gum with ice cubes. Scrape away with a plastic spatula and redo with floor polish.
NightGoods is having a series of events to celebrate its 10th anniversary in the Gallery at Harborplace.
An heirloom trunk show will be held Oct. 17-19, with items like kits to order a hooked rug designed by your child, personalized commemoratives, shadow boxes, time capsules and other gifts designed to celebrate important moments. Two artists who personalize painted furniture will also be on hand.
On Oct. 24-25, representatives from Christopher Radko and Old World ornaments will introduce their 1997 collections. Holiday tabletop items will also be on display.
On Oct. 31 and Nov. 1, toy maker Charleen Kinser will have a trunk show. Kids (in costume or not) can trick or treat and meet the artist.
Call 410-625-5081 for times.
Pub Date: 10/12/97