Severna Park and Arundel settle for tie Falcons win war of shots, but 2-2 knot is final count

Girls soccer

October 10, 1997|By Jeff Seidel | Jeff Seidel,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

Severna Park certainly manufactured enough scoring chances last night at Arundel. The Falcons dominated play after the first several minutes and outshot Arundel, 29-17.

But No. 9-ranked Severna Park still needed a strange bounce that gave Katie Rowles her first goal of the season and the Falcons a 2-2 overtime tie with Arundel in an Anne Arundel County South Division game.

Arundel (7-3-2, 2-2-1) used its speed to control play early, and Becky Carlson scored twice to give the Wildcats a 2-1 halftime lead.

But Severna Park (8-3-1, 4-0-1) took command after the break. The Falcons repeatedly came up with scoring opportunities in both the second half and the two 10-minute overtime periods. They outshot Arundel 22-6 during that time but could score just once.

"We had our opportunities, that's for sure," said Severna Park coach Joyce Stefancik. "I think we had many more opportunities."

Time and again, Severna Park found good shots in the second half and overtime, but that's when Arundel goalie Mandy Schulz made 10 of her 15 saves. Arundel coach Tom Degner usually plays Schulz just one half, but left her in after a strong first half.

"She was in a zone tonight," said Degner. "She was so good that we kept her in."

The only shot she didn't stop after the first half was a high 20-yard ball that Rowles sent toward the goal. It hit where the crossbar and right post come together and took a crazy bounce into the goal, tying the game at 2 with 5: 27 left in regulation.

"I didn't think it was going in," said Rowles. "I gave up on it."

Severna Park's best chance to score in overtime came with 1: 20 left. An Arundel defensive mix-up allowed Holly Noga to break in alone on Schulz, but her 15-yard shot rolled just wide left.

Noga assisted Tricia Vukovich on her team's first goal. After Carlson had given the Wildcats an early 1-0 lead, Noga fired a shot that Schulz stopped. But Vukovich tied the score when she put the rebound in with 20: 20 left in the half.

Carlson gave the Wildcats the lead with 7: 32 remaining in the half by re-directing Kristin Hunter's corner kick into the net.

"All year, everybody's been saying we're in a slump because of our losses to Old Mill and South River," said Carlson. "We got off bad in the beginning, but now we're back."

Pub Date: 10/10/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.