Gas in Homeland accidentally cut off

October 09, 1997|BY A SUN STAFF WRITER

More than 100 homes in Homeland in North Baltimore were without natural gas for several hours yesterday after a bypass valve to a pipeline at Homeland Avenue and Broadmoor Road was accidentally shut off, said a Baltimore Gas and Electric Co. spokesman.

Karl Neddenien, the spokesman, said that once the mistake was discovered about 2 p.m., BGE crews shut off gas meters to 107 homes to prevent gas from escaping into the dwellings.

"Our first concern was the safety of the residents and we apologize for the incident," he said.

In the area where the incident occurred, Homeland Avenue between Charles Street and York Road is being repaved and improved by the city Public Works Department, and BGE is doing maintenance in conjunction with project, which may not be completed until winter or spring.

Pub Date: 10/09/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.