Calvert Hall kicks aside McDonogh Surge lifts No. 1 Cards past No. 2 Eagles, 3-1

October 07, 1997|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF

Top-ranked Calvert Hall overcame No. 2 McDonogh, 3-1, yesterday, but required the help of two players who missed the scoreless first half.

Tim Gober assisted his team's first goal and junior reserve Randy Tolson scored his second and third goals of the season seven minutes apart, as the Cardinals (11-1, 6-1) ended an eight-game winning streak -- with seven shutouts -- by their MIAA A Conference rivals.

Gober, benched for disciplinary reasons, began the second half with sure feet, fresh legs and the feeling that "I owed my team."

"I missed practice, couldn't start, so I wanted to make a difference in the game," said Gober, whose pressure helped produce the Cardinals' 23-3 advantage in second-half shots.

"We matched their work rate in the first half but lost a lot of 50-50 balls in the second half," said first-year coach Steve Nichols of McDonogh (10-2, 5-2). "Gober hurt us attacking a little bit. We didn't occupy him."

With 28 minutes to play, Gober took a pass from Frank Scarfield to set up the game's first goal. He chipped the ball into the box, where Brett Wagner trapped it with his right leg before getting behind the final defender and tapping it beyond keeper Cam Thompson, who was diving to his right.

"Frank [Scarfield] had it in the corner, but there were two guys on his back and Brett [Wagner] was making a diagonal run into the box," said Gober, who later sent a volley inches high of the crossbar and served a sharp cross that skipped through the box untouched. "Brett's shot wasn't that hard, but he turned on on it really well and placed it really well."

The acrobatics of Thompson, who made eight saves, prevented a rout. He dived to his right to snag Scarfield's drifting volley early in the second half and made several similar stops before Tolson replaced Scarfield and then scored to make it 2-0 with 15 minutes left.

Brian Powell's throw-in had been headed forward by top scorer Cam Letke (10 goals, three assists) before bouncing over a final McDonogh defender to Tolson's feet 6 yards from Thompson.

"The ball came in, and I just touched it with my right foot. I saw the keeper coming right at me, so I put it in the right corner with my left foot," said Tolson.

McDonogh made it 2-1 as Kaiser Chawdhry slipped Cap Poklemba's cross to the left of Tom Paparounis, who had three saves. Chawdhry had an earlier one-on-one try broken up by Jason Swem.

But 20 seconds later, Tolson (5 feet 5, 135 pounds) converted a cross from Matt Joseph. "It was a great cross from Matt, coming up the side. It might have gone in, but I touched it," said Tolson. "Better safe than sorry."

McDonogh's Jon Cole, the area's scoring leader with nine goals and eight assists, was sorry he missed two chances at late in the first half. His header hit the crossbar, and his subsequent shot off the rebound was cleared by Mike Duley and P. J. Wakefield.

"If either of those drop, it's a different game," said Cole, an All-Metro selection last season. "But with Calvert Hall, it's always a battle."

Pub Date: 10/07/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.