Women's club federation to give $1,500 to Sotterley Plantation

October 06, 1997

The Southern District of the Maryland Federation of Women's Clubs will donate $1,500 toward the upkeep of historic Sotterley Plantation at its semiannual meeting tomorrow at the Bay Ridge Inn in Annapolis.

The business meeting at 10 a.m. will be followed by a luncheon. The speaker, Gladys Vocci, president of the Baltimore Society of the Archaeological Institute of America, will discuss "Dolls Through Antiquity."

The federation comprises women's community service clubs and has about 5,000 individual members, including business and professional women, and a junior division for college-age women.

Affiliated clubs undertake cultural and social service projects, for which they provide volunteers and raise money.

Sotterley Plantation, at Hollywood in St. Mary's County, is near the mouth of the Patuxent River. It was built in 1717 on land that was part of the original grant from Lord Baltimore to Thomas Cornwallis.

In 1910, it was acquired by Herbert Satterlee and his wife, Louisa, a daughter of J. Pierpont Morgan. (Its name is a variant spelling of Satterlee's ancestral home in England.) Their daughter, Mabel Satterlee Ingalls, ceded it to the state as a historic site and trust in 1961.

Information on women's club membership: Janet Morgan, 410-757-4320.

Pub Date: 10/06/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.