Davis says leg strain won't stop him 'Tight' quad, chemo make him uncertain for Game 3

Orioles Notebook

October 03, 1997|By Roch Kubatko and Joe Strauss | Roch Kubatko and Joe Strauss,SUN STAFF

SEATTLE -- Right fielder Eric Davis said he does not expect yesterday's quadriceps strain to prevent him from being in the lineup for tomorrow afternoon's Game 3 at Camden Yards. Davis suffered the strain while leaving the batter's box on a fourth-inning ground ball to second base.

He was out by a half-step when second baseman Joey Cora went deep into the hole to cut off the hit. After walking gingerly back to the dugout, Davis went out to right field in the bottom of the inning before being removed.

"After all I've been through, I'm not going to let a little pull keep me out of the lineup. The pull's not the tough thing. I'm not sure how I'll react to having chemo immediately after making a six-hour plane ride," said Davis.

Davis is scheduled for his latest round of chemotherapy at noon today. The Orioles do not have a workout planned and Davis was able to have his two-hour sessions moved up from later in the day.

"It again will be up to Eric," manager Davey Johnson said.

As for the leg injury, Johnson said: "We kind of nipped it in the bud. He was running hard down to first base and his quad got a little tight. [Trainer] Richie Bancells told me about it. [Davis] went to him and said it was tight. I decided to take him out then and there."

A similar leg injury had limited Davis to DH duty in the weeks before his stomach pain began May 24, a predecessor to his colon cancer surgery June 13.

Davis struck out to end the first inning against Mariners starter Jamie Moyer before his fourth inning at-bat. He is 1-for-5 in the series and has played a combined 8 1/2 innings. Davis left Game 1 early, citing fatigue and the desire to have something left for this weekend.

Johnson makes left turn

This time, the presence of a left-handed starter for Seattle didn't send Johnson scurrying for his right-handed bats.

Johnson chose to attack Moyer with his conventional lineup for Game 2, the polar opposite of his plan against Randy Johnson in Wednesday's opener. B. J. Surhoff started in left field, Roberto -- Alomar at second base and Rafael Palmeiro at first. Counting Wednesday starter Brady Anderson, the Orioles had five left-handed hitters in the order, including DH Harold Baines, who started over Geronimo Berroa.

This was the most effective way Johnson knew of countering Moyer's changeup, which can be troublesome to right-handed hitters. Moyer no longer was a problem after the fifth inning, when he had to leave because of a strained left elbow.

"Most of my left-handers hit left-handers pretty good, but Moyer's especially tough on right-handers," Johnson said. "Our right-handers have been trying to hit the ball out in left field. To me, he's the kind of guy you've got to give in to and go the other way."

Before yesterday, Anderson was 6-for-13 (.462) with three home runs lifetime against the former Oriole. Baines was 2-for-4, and Surhoff 13-for-32 (.406) with a homer. Palmeiro was 5-for-19 (.263) with a homer. Alomar, who has batted right-handed against Moyer in the past, was 5-for-26 (.192).

Surhoff continued his assault against Moyer, singling in the first and fourth innings. And Baines homered in the second and singled leading off the two-run fifth.

Johnson said Berroa, who hit his first career postseason home run in Game 1 and was 2-for-2 yesterday in relief of Davis, will return to the starting lineup tomorrow, facing Seattle left-hander Jeff Fassero. Johnson said Berroa was inserted over Jeffrey Hammonds because of his hitting and "Jeff's [sore left Achilles' tendon] was barking a little."

Hoiles 'a little foggy'

Chris Hoiles said he could have played yesterday, if needed, after being hit on the right side of the forehead by Joey Cora's bat in the sixth inning of Game 1. Hoiles wasn't going to start anyway because Lenny Webster usually catches starter Scott Erickson.

"A little headache and a little foggy, but for the most part I'm doing all right," he said.

Cora's backswing struck Hoiles in the helmet and sent him to the ground, where he remained for several minutes. He walked off the field, with some assistance from trainer Richie Bancells and first base coach John Stearns, and was taken to a hospital along with his wife, Dana. He never lost consciousness and didn't require stitches to close the cut.

"They just did a CT scan on it. They were just worried to see if it had cracked the skull or anything," Hoiles said. "It's just a cut on the head that didn't require stitches or anything.

"I think it was just the compression of the bat hitting the helmet. The way he swings the bat he lets go of it with one hand and obviously it creates a longer bat swing. That's how I got it."

The night had been going well for Hoiles, who walked in the fourth inning and homered in the sixth. But he ran into trouble after that, even on the way to the hospital. The police officer who was transporting Hoiles and his wife got lost along the way.

"We had a little bit [of trouble]," Hoiles said, "but we made it."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.