Glen Burnie man held in accident that killed officer

September 30, 1997|By TaNoah Morgan | TaNoah Morgan,SUN STAFF

A Glen Burnie man who admitted driving the pickup truck that caused a fiery explosion at a Linthicum gas station that killed a Baltimore County police officer was ordered held in lieu of $5,000 bail yesterday by an Anne Arundel County district judge.

James Francis Reese Jr., 33, of the 900 block of Andrews Road has been charged with fleeing the scene of the accident and failing to render aid to Officer Curtis G. Morsberger, a 30-year veteran of the department.

Reese did not speak during yesterday's bail hearing before Judge James W. Dryden, but his mother, Pauline Reese, tearfully expressed sorrow for Morsberger's family before the proceedings.

"I'm sorry for the family; that's all I can say," she said.

Reese was southbound on Hammonds Ferry Road about 9 p.m., driving a borrowed 1984 Ford pickup, when his prosthetic right leg fell off, sending the truck out of control into the intersection at Nursery Road, police said.

Reese told police he tried to slow the truck down by hitting the curb at the Citgo station in the 700 block of Hammonds Ferry Road, but the truck jumped the curb and slammed into a gas pump, uprooting it, and continued into the Jeep Cherokee Morsberger was fueling, the documents said.

The impact touched off an explosion, and flames fueled by spraying gasoline burned Morsberger, destroyed both vehicles and charred an overhead canopy. Morsberger died at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center about 1: 30 p.m. Saturday, police said.

Reese and a passenger, Colby Foster, 26, fled on foot. Officers found Foster a short time later about a quarter-mile away. Reese was picked up about 9: 30 a.m. Saturday as he walked along Baltimore-Annapolis Road near the Central Light Rail overpass, police said.

Police were investigating the incident.

A gas station clerk who was able to read a license plate in the dark helped lead police to a man charged with robbing her Sunday, county police said.

Latanya Hudson, 34, told police that a man with a shotgun walked into Uncle Marvin's Oasis in the 7500 block of Ridge Road in Hanover just after 8 p.m. and demanded money. Hudson opened the register drawer, and the gunman grabbed an undisclosed amount of cash, ran to a brown van and fled, police said.

Hudson got the tag number and called police. Sgt. Wayne Vernon spotted the van moments later on Stoney Run Road and stopped it. The driver admitted committing the robbery and took them to the 6800 block of Ridge Road, where he had stashed the money and shotgun, police said.

Raymond Leslie Poe, 41, of the 7400 block of S. Dunrobbin Court in Hanover was charged with armed robbery and first-degree assault.

Pub Date: 9/30/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.