Hotel clerk says woman sprayed him with MaceA Laurel...

September 23, 1997

Hotel clerk says woman sprayed him with Mace

A Laurel woman, apparently irate over having a telephone conversation interrupted yesterday, has been charged with spraying a clerk with Mace and setting off the building's fire alarm, county police said.

A woman who was not a registered guest at the Holiday Inn in the 3400 block of Fort Meade Road walked into the lobby just after midnight and began using the lobby phone, which is reserved for guests, police said.

Bachar A. Yousser, 33, the desk clerk, told the woman to stop using the phone. When she ignored repeated warnings, he took the phone from her and hung it up. She pulled a can of Mace from her purse and sprayed him with it twice, then triggered the fire alarm, which sounded in every room, police said.

Police detained Kimberly Louise Augustine, 26, of the 200 block of Red Clay Road at a nearby gas station, charging her with second-degree assault and trespassing.

The owner of an Annapolis jewelry shop, suspicious of a customer who had left his store, locked his doors Saturday just in time to keep out a gunman wearing a Halloween mask, county police said.

Michael Jangahi, owner of Adore Jewelry Trade Center, told police that a man walked into the store, in the 2000 block of West St., shortly after 1 p.m. and began asking about Rolex watches.

When the man left, Jangahi became suspicious and locked his doors. A blue Nissan Pathfinder pulled up outside the front door and a man with a mask and a handgun got out, . When he realized the doors were locked, the man got back into the truck, which was driven by a second man, and left.

Jangahi called police. An officer found it northbound on Riva Road and followed it to a hotel parking lot, where both passenger and driver jumped out and ran.

A man flagged down a cabdriver in Glen Burnie yesterday, rode to Brooklyn Park, then robbed him, county police said.

Frank M. Saia, 26, a driver for Brooklyn Transport, told police he picked up a fare on Ritchie Highway near Hammonds Lane about 3: 30 a.m.

As they neared Patrick Henry Drive, where the man had asked to be taken, The fare pulled out a black, semiautomatic handgun and demanded money, police said.

Saia gave the man $80, and the man ran away. Police did not have a detailed description of the gunman.

Pub Date: 9/23/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.