DeMatha rolls past Mt. St. Joe again, 41-14 Third-quarter turnovers sink competitive Gaels

September 21, 1997|By Derek Toney | Derek Toney,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

The scoreboard at Mount St. Joseph's Xaverian Field read DeMatha 41, Mount St. Joseph 14, yesterday. Though the No. 2 Gaels suffered a one-sided loss to the Washington area's No. 2 team for a second straight season, there were some positives.

In last season's 58-20 rout, Mount St. Joseph trailed by 24 points at halftime and had surrender 385 yards. Going into the second half yesterday, the Gaels (2-1) trailed only 20-7.

But within the first three minutes of the third quarter, Mount St. Joseph (2-1) turned the ball over twice deep in its territory, each leading to touchdowns as the Stags (3-0) scored 21 points in the quarter.

"DeMatha is a really good team and they forced us to make mistakes," said Mount St. Joseph coach Mike Working. "I was pleased with the kids playing as hard as they can play. I think DeMatha is a better team, but our kids played them, not ducked or dodged them."

Greg Jones and Andrew Michalowicz each scored on touchdown runs for Mount St. Joseph. Carl Bradford scored twice for DeMatha, ranked No. 3 in this week's state poll.

The Stags, perennially a top 5 team in the Washington area and the state, had too much size and strength in the interior for Mount St. Joseph, and powered their way to 223 yards on the ground. Kenny Dantzler rushed for 105 yards in the first half.

DeMatha, which had a streak of five straight Washington Catholic Athletic Conference championships ended last season, scored on four straight possessions in the second and third quarters to build a 41-7 margin with 2: 47 left in the third quarter.

"I think Mount St. Joseph played much harder than they did last year," said DeMatha coach Bill McGregor. "I think they sort of gave up last year once we got up on them. I didn't see any quit in them this year."

In the first half of last year's contest, Mount St. Joseph had just 76 offensive yards. It took only one play for the Gaels to eclipse that total yesterday.

On the Gaels' first play from scrimmage, Michalowicz (6-of-13, 161 yards) hit Howard Randall in the right slot and went upfield for a 77-yard gain to the DeMatha 2. Jones (10 yards) went in from the left side untouched, tying the game at 7 with 9: 36 left in the first quarter.

Mount St. Joseph went to that play again to start the second half, but DeMatha's Tony Okanlawon was waiting and picked off the pass, and returned it to the Gaels' 3. Stags quarterback Scott McBrien scored on a 3-yard run, extending the lead to 26-7.

The Gaels turned the ball over again as Michalowicz's next pass was intercepted by Bradford, who returned it to the 3. J. W. Petty went in on the next play, followed by the two-point conversion, and DeMatha had a 34-7 lead with 9: 45 left in the third.

"We played them tough in the first half, and had some momentum going," said senior wide receiver Shaz Brown, whose kickoff return to about midfield to open the second half was called back because of a clipping penalty. "Those mistakes we made early in the second half really cost us."

In another area game:

No. 4 Loyola 39, Thomas Johnson 21: Brant Hall threw for 117 yards and a touchdown and rushed for two more to lift the host Dons (2-1) past the Patriots (2-1), who are ranked No. 11 in the state. Kyle Bell had 178 yards on 29 carries with two touchdowns for Loyola.

Pub Date: 9/21/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.