Life sciences get new home Campus: Baltimore City Community College will dedicate its $18.5 million Life Sciences Building, one of the most technologically sophisticated teaching facilities in the state, this afternoon.

Urban Landscape

September 18, 1997|By Edward Gunts | Edward Gunts,SUN STAFF

WHEN THE old Baltimore Junior College opened in the late 1940s, 53 of its first 57 students were World War II veterans honing their job skills so they could re-enter the local work force.

In 1959, when the college moved from 33rd Street to its West Baltimore campus at 2901 Liberty Heights Ave., most of its students were liberal arts and business majors.

Today, the institution is known as Baltimore City Community College, and nearly half of its students are taking courses that will prepare them for careers in the life sciences, including nursing, dental hygiene, physical therapy, biology and biotechnology.

Nothing symbolizes that trend more clearly than the structure that will be dedicated at 4 p.m. today, the $18.5 million Life Sciences Building.

Designed by Gaudreau Inc., the four-story building is one of the most technologically sophisticated teaching facilities in the state.

On the first level is the William Donald Schaefer Life Sciences Institute, with a mission of providing education in the life sciences, and training and information services to individuals and businesses throughout Baltimore.

The building also has 10 classrooms, 12 scientific laboratories, five computer laboratories, two lecture halls, three conference rooms, 65 offices and a large greenhouse.

Clad in glass and brick, the building is home to the departments of natural and physical sciences, mathematics, engineering and computer science, and a variety of other programs, including respiratory therapy and health information technology.

All classrooms, conference areas, laboratories and faculty offices are wired for computers. Administrators estimate that 40 percent of the college's 6,000 students will take courses there.

"This building is state of the art, as far as technology is concerned," said college President James D. Tschechtelin. "We really think it's changing the way education takes place. It has already brought a new sense of energy and purpose to the campus."

The college's 19-acre Liberty campus was once the home of the Park School, which is now in Baltimore County. The Life Sciences Building is the first structure built there in 20 years. Its dedication is part of a series of events scheduled to mark the 50th anniversary of the college, which opened Feb. 3, 1947.

Besides its classes at the Liberty and Harbor campuses, the college offers courses at more than 30 sites throughout the city. With the Life Sciences Building complete, Tschechtelin said, administrators hope to obtain state funds to renovate the Main Building on the Liberty campus and to improve the library and physical education facilities, among other capital projects.

Other campus events today, beginning at noon, include academic department open houses, a convocation, a picnic, a dance and fireworks.

Speakers will include Mayor Kurt L. Schmoke, former Gov. William Donald Schaefer and John Weiss III, president of Chesapeake Biological Laboratories and keynote speaker for the dedication. State Sen. Clarence W. Blount, a Baltimore Democrat, will deliver the convocation address.

Authors of rowhouse book receive two grants

Baltimoreans Charles Belfoure and Mary Ellen Hayward received a $10,000 grant from the James Marston Fitch Charitable Trust in New York to help underwrite a book, "The Rowhouse: Baltimore's Basic Building Block."

The trust annually awards money for a project that examines a preservation issue or architectural history topic in depth. The book will be published, tentatively in the fall of 1998, by Princeton Architectural Press and distributed nationwide.

The authors also have received a $2,000 grant from the Baltimore Architectural Foundation.

Stoneleigh walking tours to be offered next month

Historic Towson will sponsor architectural walking tours of the Stoneleigh neighborhood Baltimore County at 10: 30 a.m. Oct. 4 and 2: 30 p.m. Oct. 5. The cost is $5 for members of Historic Towson and residents of Stoneleigh, $10 for others.

For reservations and other information about the tours, call 410-832-1776.

Pub Date: 9/18/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.