Lions find heart in win over Bulls Second-half comeback gives Dulaney 3-1 victory

September 17, 1997|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF

Down a goal at halftime despite having out-hustled and out-played visiting Hereford, Dulaney coach Craig Lafferty challenged the hearts of his 15th-ranked Lions.

"I told them we had more size, more skill and ability to execute," said Lafferty, whose team outshot Hereford 14-2 in the first half and 25-6 overall. "We just needed more courage."

The Lions responded with a three-goal second half, the first two scores coming within a minute of each other off throw-ins by John Holloway, as Dulaney (4-0) bounced No. 13 Hereford, 3-1, in a non-league Baltimore County game.

With 18 minutes to play, Willy Leonard used his head to flick in the tying goal. A minute later, Pat Quinn used his right thigh to convert the game-winner.

Forced to spread its packed-in defense, anchored by keeper Adam Bengston (18 saves), the Bulls (3-1) pressed for the goal that might produce overtime. But Tony Arditi cleanly headed in Dulaney's third goal off Mike Hoeck's corner kick with six minutes to play.

"We're usually a lot better on those set plays than we showed today," Arditi said. "We just needed more movement off the ball."

Robert Almony gave Hereford a 1-0 lead when he buried a loose ball from 18 yards. The play developed after a shot by Paul Yanchus glanced off a defender and landed at the feet of Almony, who one-timed it past an out-of-position Josh Tracy (two saves).

Bengston, who said he was "screened out" on each of Dulaney's first two goals, then constantly denied the Lions in the air, particularly in making 12 saves in the first half.

The 5-foot-9 keeper often out-leaped players such as 6-foot-3 Ramos Krywonis. He once snagged a header by Eric Gray. Sometimes, he simply was unchalleged.

"He's beating us to everything," one player screamed from the Lions' bench. "We're not jumping," yelled another.

Twice, Bengston emerged from the goal and forced players to shoot wide. Jerry Deurbeck blasted the ball off the near post just before halftime, and, in the second half, Mike Keppler's 12-yard header was wide of an unprotected net.

On the rare occasions Bengston was caught out of position, the ball often was cleared by defenders Todd Smith, Nick Glorioso, Tommy Wilson, Austin Colledge or Pat Danaher.

It's easy to understand why the Bulls had out-scored their opponents, 6-1, with two shutouts entering the game.

"Our biggest problems were on those three set plays," Bengston said. "We're going to go back and practice those a little more."

Pub Date: 9/17/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.