Saints power by Wilde Lake, 5-1 No. 2 St. Mary's rebounds after big loss, with goals scored by five players

Girls soccer

September 12, 1997|By Stan Rappaport | Stan Rappaport,SUN STAFF

What a difference a day makes.

Twenty-four hours after being shut out by Good Counsel, second-ranked St. Mary's righted itself in a big way yesterday at Wilde Lake. The Saints got goals from five different players and looked solid throughout in downing the Wildecats, 5-1.

"I don't there's a word that can describe the difference from yesterday [Wednesday] to today," said St. Mary's coach Jerry Tobin.

There was pause.

"Astronomical," said Tobin, looking for the right word.

"They weren't ready to play" in Wednesday's 4-0 loss to Good Counsel, "but they wanted to play today," Tobin said. "If they show up to play, they're a very good team."

They were yesterday.

"We were overpowered," said Wilde Lake coach Roy Andersch. "They were athletic in every position and had a little better understanding of the game."

Erin Coppedge opened the scoring 15 minutes into the contest with a tremendous individual effort. Taking possession in the center of the field 40 yards from the Wilde Lake goal, Coppedge dribbled toward the left, evaded five defenders and shot left-footed past goalie Edna Dash into the far side of the net.

"They [Wilde Lake defenders] were coming at me so hard that it was easy to tip it and go around them," said Coppedge.

Two minutes later, Coppedge sent a hard shot from 23-yards out that the diving Dash deflected to her right. But Morgan Thalenberg was there, alone, and tapped it in for a 2-0 lead.

Kelly Coppedge gave the Saints (3-2-1) a 3-0 lead five minutes before halftime with a high-arching shot over Dash and just inside the crossbar.

Erin Coppedge said the victory was "very important."

"We were kind of angry after the Good Counsel game, and we took it out on Wilde Lake," she said. "We were fired up, and we played very well. Hopefully, this brings us back as one team working together."

Coppedge and teammate Tina Fedarcyk also had another incentive. Wilde Lake coaches Roy and Anita Andersch are their club (Columbia Magic) coaches.

"I like to show them what I can do," said Coppedge. "It kind of gets me fired up."

St. Mary's, playing for the third straight day and sixth time in eight days, took a 4-0 lead on Tiffany Schummer's goal 18 minutes into the second half.

Wilde Lake (1-1) scored when Liana Kaufman's shot went off the hands of goalie Amy Mulligan and Amanda Berman knocked it in for her fourth goal of the season.

Kelly Bertwell finished the scoring for St. Mary's, which outshot Wilde Lake, 28-10, five minutes before the final whistle.

"They did everything we asked them to do," said Tobin, whose team was without injured starters Maria Smear and Marianne Gioffre. "They have to play hard and they have to play aggressive, and they did that. I'm very pleased today."

For Wilde Lake, "it was a learning experience," said Berman. "We know we can play better. We're determined to do our best this year."

Pub Date: 9/12/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.