Hampstead man is arrested on charges of beating his girlfriend unconscious He had been free on bail in kidnap-assault case brought by same woman

September 12, 1997|By Mike Farabaugh | Mike Farabaugh,SUN STAFF

Fourteen days after being freed on $25,000 bail in the alleged kidnapping and assault of his girlfriend, a Hampstead man was arrested yesterday on charges of beating her unconscious.

Michael L. Hauck, 32, of the 1000 block of S. Main St., was ordered held without bond at the Carroll County Detention Center after he appeared at a bail review hearing yesterday before District Court Judge JoAnn Ellinghaus-Jones.

Hauck's girlfriend, Penny L. Jones, 37, of the same Hampstead address, was treated at Carroll County General Hospital and released, a hospital spokeswoman said.

Hauck waived his right to an attorney and told Ellinghaus-Jones that he and his girlfriend had plans to marry tomorrow.

Melissa Ottey Hockensmith, domestic violence prosecutor for the county state's attorney's office, argued that Hauck should remain in jail pending outstanding charges.

Hauck contended that Jones had 25 drinks at a Hampstead bar and had made up her story about an assault.

Hockensmith told the court that Hauck has been arrested 27 times, mostly on charges of assaulting and battering women.

"I fight men, but not women," Hauck objected.

"I stand corrected," Hockensmith said. "Our records show Mr. Hauck also has assaulted men."

Hockensmith also noted that Hauck had two pending cases for assault and battery and drug offenses in Baltimore County.

Court records show Hauck has been free on a $7,500 bond tied to unrelated assault charges filed in Carroll County in March, which involved allegations of assaulting two women and a police officer, and resisting arrest.

Hauck was scheduled for trial Wednesday in that case, but prosecutors received a postponment because of a death in the family of a key state's witness.

Trooper Danielle Barry, who was assigned Wednesday as regional domestic violence coordinator for the state police, testified that she was called at 7 a.m. yesterday to Carroll County General Hospital, where she met Jones.

Barry said the woman identified Hauck as her assailant. The officer said doctors had treated Jones for a fractured nose and cheekbone, and facial lacerations.

In charging documents filed yesterday, police said Jones told them she and Hauck had gone to a Hampstead bar and began arguing on the way home.

She said she demanded to be allowed out of his truck and began walking home, but he followed and threatened to kill her if she didn't accompany him. When she refused, Jones told police, Hauck got out of the truck and punched her until she passed out.

Jones said she awoke nude in her room and Hauck was naked and asleep on the floor.

According to court records, the woman told police that she found her bloodied dress soaking in the kitchen sink along with Hauck's shirt. She said she dressed and walked to a convenience store to call police.

Police said in charging documents that Jones complained of dizziness and vision problems as emergency workers assisted her about 4 a.m. at the convenience store before taking her to the hospital.

Jerry F. Barnes, state's attorney for Carroll County, said Jones apparently had not tried to obtain court-ordered protection after the alleged kidnapping on Aug. 26.

"Michael Hauck is a predator, a danger to the community, and we are going to do everything we can legally do to keep him locked up until he faces the charges against him in the courtroom," Barnes said.

Hockensmith said a private attorney or public defender could seek to have Hauck's bail lowered in Circuit Court as soon as Monday.

Pub Date: 9/12/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.