Oil-soaked rags ignite fire causes $110,000 damage to garage, home

September 09, 1997

Rags soaked with linseed oil ignited spontaneously early Saturday, causing about $110,000 damage to the garage and home of a Winfield man, fire officials said.

Jimmy Mowder, 55, of the 1300 block of Streaker Road, told fire marshals that he was awakened about 4: 45 a.m. by a crackling noise and went to investigate. He found his two-car garage ablaze and called for help.

About 30 firefighters from four volunteer companies brought the two-alarm fire under control in about 20 minutes, fire marshals said.

One firefighter suffered a minor arm injury.

The garage was gutted and the house sustained smoke and water damage, fire marshals said.

Fire

Winfield: Firefighters responded at 5: 43 p.m. Friday to a propane tank leak in the 4300 block of Ridge Road. Units were out eight minutes.

Mount Airy: Firefighters responded at 3: 42 a.m. Saturday to a fire alarm in the 3800 block of Mount Airy Drive. Units were out 24 minutes.

Pub Date: 9/09/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.