Two Brooklyn Park youths jumped out of a stolen pickup...

September 09, 1997

Two Brooklyn Park youths jumped out of a stolen pickup truck in Glen Burnie while it was still moving and ran through a muddy swamp Sunday in an unsuccessful attempt to elude county police.

Jerome J. Vacek, 73, of Glen Burnie, reported about 2 a.m. that his truck had been stolen. While Officer Leroy Coking was on his way to investigate, he saw a brown truck on Baltimore-Annapolis Boulevard near Eighth Avenue that fit the description of the one stolen, police said.

When Coking tried to pull the truck over, two youths jumped out while the truck was still moving, leaving it to drift into a fence, police said.

The boys ran to a swamp near Baltimore-Annapolis Boulevard and Eighth Avenue while police searched the truck and found a backpack with tools inside.

As the officers followed the youths' path to the swamp, they found another backpack.

A short time later, Sgt. George Halpin spotted two wet, muddy youths on Baltimore-Annapolis Boulevard near Maple Lane and arrested them.

Police charged the youths with stealing Vacek's truck and one belonging to Anthony Jones, 40, of the 6400 block of Harrison Heights Ave. in Glen Burnie.

Police said two youths stole Jones' truck and drove it to Central Avenue near Crain Highway, where it broke down. They took tools from the truck, abandoned it and stole Vacek's truck, police said.

The youths, ages 15 and 17, were charged as juveniles with two counts of auto theft, theft and destruction of property. They were released to their parents.

The trucks were returned to their owners.

Two Glen Burnie youths and a Severn youth were arrested on robbery charges after a homeless man was ganged up on and robbed of change on Crain Highway Saturday, county police said.

Michael Potocoki, 39, told police he was walking south on Crain Highway near Aquahart Road shortly after 9 p.m. when three youths approached him and demanded money.

When Potocoki told them he didn't have any, one of the youths repeated the demand, police said. Potocoki gave the youths change and told them he was going to call police, according to a report.

The youths threatened to kill Potocoki, then ran away. Three officers who checked the area found three youths a few blocks away who fit the descriptions Potocki had given police.

Potocoki identified the youths, a 16-year-old from Severn, a 16-year-old and a 17-year-old from Glen Burnie, as the ones who had robbed him. They were charged as juveniles.

County police charged a Severn man Friday with making a bomb threat to Old Mill High School last week.

William H. Defibaugh, 19, of the 300 block of Anna Court was charged with false report of a bomb. He was being held in lieu of $3,500 bail.

Police said a man called the school just after 7 a.m. and said there was a bomb inside. School officials evacuated the building, and middle school students were kept on their buses until EMS/Fire/Rescue workers and police checked the building. They did not find any devices.

Detectives said they later got a tip that a former student at the school had told several people he was going to call in a threat, then bragged to several people that he had done it.

Pub Date: 9/09/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.